People Like us

by PaulMarshall 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• PaulMarshall
    PaulMarshall

I have been amazed at how many people have had similar experiences to myself. We are such creatures of conformity by very definition, so it is hard for anyone either going through what we have or for my friends out there who have been through the process of leaving all they know, in formative years to see or get any kind of closure. It’s good to hear of others that have / are finding a way forward with all the complications that tend to go with being raised in the organisation and then leaving it.

I have met many people in my life through my work and personally, who were raised in social care, or raised in very dysfunctional family units. Many of the traits they present in later life mirror behavioural similarities to people like us. Low self esteem, mood swings, the inability to relate to people on an emotional level. This is often coupled with a feeling of deep loss and isolation, and the inability to drive ones life. If I actually believed in re-incarnation (which I don’t incidentally), I really would be wondering what did I do in a past life to get given the “hey lets give this little chap same sex attraction and throw him into the lions den with the JW’s that’ll give us some sport!”

People within the organisation would argue that we all have our cross to bear so to speak (please excuse the pun, but humour is one of the things that has kept me going during the last 20 years as a dissociated person) But the men and women within the organisation are not trained psychologists and I am a firm believer in the religion of a little information can be very dangerous thing indeed. Instigating and being responsible for creating a flux in ones persona, where you are literally fighting yourself internally is not godly or indeed Christian. Children especially are simply not equipped to deal with this deeply destructive dynamic. It is important that we do not forget that we can be as damaged as people who have gone through years on psychological abuse, so be kind to yourself......

The love of god can only be won with compassion coupled with empathy. A straight elder cannot possibly understand what it is like to be chemically programmed to be gay.Or for a mature sister coaching a teenage "sister" who is being sexually abused by her older brother at home and sitting next him praying at the meetings. Both of these examples are facts in my life, not fiction I have put in for effect.

I could talk for an age about the variables here believe me, I have given it an awful lot of thought during my life thus far. But to keep it simple and to stop you dozing off. Like you, I did not ask to sign up for this path; all I can do is my best to understand who I am.

The best way to do that I believe is to communicate with those will be able to understand who the real Paul is. In all my dynamics.

Happy is the man aware of his spritual need... I well remember being drummed into at book group, The thursday eveing weekend and the Sunday two hour special. Well I am aware of mine but with that said, I really do feel like banging on the door of my local Bethal and demanding a refund for my Willy Wonker ticket to paradise, it was never stmarked with the "yes you can come in you measure up" stamp.

Job was obviously a better man than I……Or was he?

• mouthy
    mouthy

No I dont think Job was a better man.......I think you LIKE JOB!!! has walked the walk -you are now able to talk the talk, You have been there done that... Continue on using the brain you evidently ARE using (((HUG

• Balsam
    Balsam

Some religious organization are doing their best to make gay folks welcome and let them know that God is not against them. Sadly it is not something JW will ever do, they pour a lot of guilt on the individuals head and get upset with them because they are sad and unhappy all the time. I find the majority of mainstream religions are much more all inclusive. Check them out if your interested in the Christian spirituality without all the pressure to go against your god given nature.

This is a little off the subject but I've been looking into eastern religions like Buddhism that believes in reincarnation. Well if we go through many lives being both males sometimes and females other times, perhaps we just have a preference. Say if we loved being a man but found ourselves born again in female body and grew up hating being female and fought it all the way. Or visa vera. I've often wondered if that could be an explaination for folks who don't find themselves attracted to the opposite sex. I don't know, I know as you said this isn't a choice you would have ordered for yourself. I remember when I was growing up I hated being a girl and everything about it. But as I went into my teens years I though I'm going to have to make the best of it and be comfortable with this body. Rather weird thoughts for the average teen I think. So I decided I'd just try to go with liking being female. I never had any attraction though for girls, thought they were irritating. LOL Gradually by the time I graduated high school I was loving being a woman. But I sure hated it as a kid. I don't know just have always wondered it reincarnated lives might be a reason for the confusing feelings some of us feel about being human.

Balsam

• anewme
    anewme

Dear Mr. Marshall, I was just strolling through the posts and found yours. Must have overlooked it last week.

I dont know what to say except you must try to forget the awful past and the way the Society and society as a whole has treated you.

We must not focus on ignorance, but keep focused on Wisdom. Wisdom is always lovely and beautiful and a rest for the weary heart and soul.

In the future we will know more about this situation. Society will one day understand better. Until then, all men and women deserve due dignity and respect.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.......

Sincerely,

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit