Should we serve God, or should he serve us?

by JH 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

I always thought that the stronger should help the weaker.

Since God is almighty, shouldn't he give us what we need, especially since we are his children.

The Witnesses always say, we should serve God. God doesn't need us, we need him !!!

• JH
    JH

If I had a pet, I wouldn' expect the pet to serve me.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

And yet some pets do serve humans.

Is that loyalty to the 'pack leader' or 'selfish' survival instinct, or a combination of both?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

This question shows how much "religion" has changed over the centuries.

In the ancient Near Eastern civilisations which form the background of the OT, it was all about "serving the gods". Keeping them satisfied with food, drink, sacrifices etc. This is the very reason why mankind was created according to the Enuma Elish: "I will create man who shall inhabit the earth,
    That the service of the gods may be established, and that their shrines may be built."

While in Biblical Hebrew "serving the gods" is still the default idiom for "worship," the idea that the gods do not need to be served becomes increasingly frequent (Psalm 50 etc.), from the prophetic anti-sacrifice rants (Isaiah 1 etc.) to the Hellenistic philosophical monotheism in which "God" cannot be served at all (Acts 17:24f).

It seems like it was the fate of religion, like all human projections, to be ultimately swallowed in anthropocentrism. All ends up in reality show.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit