Semi-disabled and want to find another job. What do I do?

by GentlyFeral 4 Replies latest jw friends

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

OK, the place we live is driving us crazy, so I'd love to be able to work in my favorite town.

Problem is -- I became semi-disabled on my present job, and I don't see how I can get hired anywhere else in the trade I'm in. I talked to the HR department about job retraining and they said that wouldn't be an option until I was declared unable to work at my present job at all - which is not likely any time soon.

When I bring this up to Workman's Comp doctors, they .... well, they don't have anything useful to say. They know medicine but that's about it. They do not seem to know anything about actually latching on to retraining or anything of the kind.

On top of that, I haven't been very good at job interviews in the past. Since I don't have a college degree, I don't look stellar on paper.

Any advice? What do I do now?

Gently Feral

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Check your area and see if there are special services to help people with disabilities get jobs. These services can be extremely helpful in helping you to write your resume and show what skills you do have along with your experience. They can also act as liasons between you and any prospective employers.

If you are in a fairly large community they might have these services. Smaller towns might not so check with employment agencies to see what services they have and what they can offer

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Thanks, Lady Lee.

BTTT

GentlyFeral

• anewme
    anewme

Check also with your local Labor Division Board to find out the law concerning the responsibility of your employer to find you suitable work. They may have to employ you somehow. Do not give up.

In the last couple of years I have seen quite a few disabled citizens employed at the larger organizations like Home Depot, Safeway, Target. It makes me think that the larger employers may have a legal responsibility with the government to employ a number of disabled.

So check also with the A.D.A Americans with Disabilities representative in your area. They are a powerful force now and may have free legal advice for you as well.

Best wishes,

Anewme

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

Vocational Rehabilitation /the re evaluation division. This is a federal program and is in every state. They will pay for your training or used to and will purchase adaptive wear or items to make your life a bit easier.

cab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit