RN2B1day - Me first, wife/mother next, and the rest follows!

by lisavegas420 1 Replies latest watchtower medical

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I ran across this blog this morning and thought I'd share.

http://danddsmommie.spaces.msn.com/blog/cns!8B8586E30788FB99!231.entry?

June 06
    Ethics
    Everyday I hear stories from medical professionals. Today I heard one that has stuck with me. I tried to put myself in this situation and am perplexed on how I actually would have handled it. I know we have rules to follow and must be respectful of other people's beliefs, but this story really bothers me and I doubt that I could have watched this happen. A 16 yr old is admitted to the hospital to deliver her first child. Her mother, father, and the father of the baby are all present. During her delivery she begins to hemorrhage and is in need of a transfusion. Her mother refuses because they are Jehovah's Witness and apparently a transfusion is against their beliefs. The doctors and nurses pleaded with the family and tried to change their minds by explaining that their daughter will die. The mother still refuses. The daughter dies and the baby survives, but now is motherless. Now the mother screams at the staff telling them that they killed her daughter. The dad passes out and the baby's father becomes hysterical and then attempts to stab the staff. The mood on this unit is full of anger, sadness, pain, and disbelief. I heard this from 3 sources and cannot believe that this young lady had to die all because of her religious beliefs. I don't even know where to begin to express my frustration with this subject, but I was told that this happens and we must respect our patient/client/resident's wishes. Wow, this is going to be difficult to grasp.
    lisa
  • Scully
    Scully

Ironic that her baby was conceived by an unmarried 16 year old, yet the parents still needed to impose the No Blood Transfusion™ rule on their daughter.

By law, she's probably allowed to make her own decisions about having sex, and regarding medical treatment once she became pregnant, yet the parents insist on having their wishes respected without consulting the patient at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit