Cancer has taken way to many people out of my life, how about yours?

by free2beme 8 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Recently a female friend of mine was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She is 22, and has a long fight ahead of her. In my 35 years of this life, if there was a year book that showed all the friends and family members that I have known, far to many would have a note saying "died from cancer, on such and such date." My spouse lost their grandfather this last December, and over the years it seems to be the number one killer of my friends and relatives, right behind heart issues. I sometimes get a little fear in my own heart wondering, is it growing in me? It seems that you never know, until one day something feels wrong. You feel weak, sick for to long or have some odd pain or illness. Cancer to me, is something far more scary then any "Demon" or "Satan" fear I ever had as a Witness. Mainly because, it is real and something I have no doubt could take you out at far to young of an age.

• digglina
    digglina

Free2beme,

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. In my circle of family and friends many people unfortunately died from cancer. I had to take care of serveral of them. A lot of them were related to my ex and although many people told him to have a check up regularly, he used to say that I had a far better chance of getting the disease because (his words) 'I worry too much'. That did scare me, but now that he's gone my fear is also gone. It is not something you can control, but I do believe that with a healthy diet and sports you will have less chance getting cancer. Also, I've heard many stories of people with a positive attitude who beat the disease. But I do understand what you're saying: this danger seems far more real than others...

Wish you all the best,

Digglina

• Es
    Es

So sorry for you friend, Its a very scary world we live in,

I was tested at 18 for Ovarian cancer, its pretty scary, I have lost two grandfathers and an aunt, as well as a few friends from it. Its a scary disease.... I know its a morbid thought but im kinda resigned to the fact that most of who I know inc myself will have it \get it.

es

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Sorry to hear about your friend, freetobeme. I pray she makes a full recovery. I think it's even harder to take in when cancer hits people so young too. I lost a school friend to cancer at the age of 19 - but the good thing is that because she knew she was 'terminal', she made the absolute most of the time she had left - married her boyfriend and had a fantastic honeymoon (she actually had to have a round of treatment between the two to keep her well enough for the trip). I like to remember her for the sheer fighting spirit and determination she had

I also lost an older friend who was almost like a second mum to me - she had cancer 3 times before it finally 'got' her. Not to mention a few former workmates from the dyeing/chemical industry - most likely due to the chemicals they came into contact with. I'm sitting on a potential timebomb myself in that respect too but worrying about whether it will happen or not seems pointless because it won't alter the result.

So many of my friends have died over the last few years that I actually got scared of making friends with anyone because I began thinking it was somehow my fault

Within my family circle, it tends to be heart disease/stroke which is the main problem.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can't think of any relatives that died of cancer either from the maternal or paternal side. A cousin once had leukemia but finally got cured of it only to lead a life of gambling and debauchery that caused great hardship to his family.

The problem on both sides of the family is cardiovascular disease.

• Mary
    Mary

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer a few years ago, after being misdiagnosed for two years by my brain-dead ASSHOLE of a doctor who told me I had fibroid tumours. The only reason I'm sitting here today is because I finally took matters into my own hands, went and saw another doctor who did a D&C on me, sent it off to the lab and it came back as malignant. There is nothing that prepares you when you hear the words "you have a malignancy". At first you're shocked, then it translates into your mind as "You are going to die". I had to have a full hysterectomy, ending my chance of ever having children. But at least I'm still alive.
    If that's not bad enough, my sister died of brain cancer when she was 10 years old.

• oldflame
    oldflame

I hate cancer, probably the most dangerous disease we can get. I lost both Grandmothers to cancer, also a Aunt and my youngest half brother. I have known a few people outside of my family whom also died from cancer. I fear it will be my own demise.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

And I thought I was the only one...

In my family--my father, grandfather, great-grandfather, two aunts, & one cousin (all on the paternal side). Those are the ones that DIED. The ones who have had it & won the battle are almost too numerous to count. I do know of one cousin on my mother's side (non-JW) that just beat leukemia...for the second time..

Is it any wonder some of us lie awake at night...

DR

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Hi Free

I'm so sorry to hear this news.

I know how you feel. I have lost several older relatives to this disease, but recently it has come closer to home.

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago, and my sister in law's funeral was today - age 39. I lost a younger cousin in November, and another cousin was diagnosed just last week.

On a positive note, many are living longer or beating this disease, some as a result of medical advances. Stay positive

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit