A little bit of national pride never hurt anyone ...

by JoeSinclair 3 Replies latest jw friends

• JoeSinclair
    JoeSinclair

Some context for this post is helpful: In England we are currently (as a nation) deluding ourselves that we can win the World Cup*. Therefore, the country is literally turning red and white with flags on display everywhere. We are idol worshipping ourselves into an early armageddon over here!

I have been away with some friends watching the Le Mans 24 hour race in la belle France and I got home to find that my girlfriend has decorated our house with England flags! Well, the living room at least. No signs of the watchtower round here at the moment. Nice.

Of course, however positive I feel about her progress, I always suddenly remember that she is still hung up on the blood thing. I would have to honour (and I would) her wishes in that regard, should something terrible happen.

But, enough of that! We are playing Sweden tonight, and we are gonna WIN! Nice.

Joe

* If you aren't aware, the World Cup is the largest sporting event that I am aware of, measured by the number of nations that compete (if you include all the qualifying stages), and the size of the TV audience worldwide. It just edges the Olympics I reckon (No facts to base that on, just my opinion) BUT even if it doesn't, we're talking about a tournament featuring only 1 sport here! The Olympics covers a multitude of sporting events, but FOOTBALL's World Cup is the King of Tournaments!

PS. If this is in the wrong area, sorry. I don't really know if it is a World Cup post or a post about my girlfriend's progression out of JW.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Hi Joe,

Yes I think a little sports directed nationalism is a good sign of your girlfriend's recovery!

So, we are going to beat Sweden? It will be the first time for about 30 years, I believe.

Rach

• JoeSinclair
    JoeSinclair

Oh well, a draw is good enough to see Ecuador next round!

If you really don't know what we're talking about, here's a link:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/match/template.html?id=35

Joe

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Go BRITS !! Do I have the right flag? >>>>> in case the above is wrong.... Go ENGLAND ! ! alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit