Watchtower 101: a survival guide

by parakeet 4 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

If you were dragged to meetings as a teenager (as I was), how did you get through the tedium of the 5-plus meeting hours a week? I'm compiling a short primer for those still stuck in the meeting rut to help them survive the misery of boring, droning, and inept speakers week after week (at least until they're ready to chuck the meetings entirely).

How I got through meetings as a teen:
    1. Elbow wrestled with my brother over the armrest between our seats.
    2. Counted how many times the letters of my first name appeared in sequence per Bible page (added benefit of appearing pious to any observers).
    3. Stared at a brightly colored dress of someone sitting in front of me and then watched the afterimage on the KH's white walls.
    4. Listened to my stomach rumble as I got hungry.
    5. Folded origami animals from ripped-out WT pages.
    6. Keenly observed new KM speakers for signs of stage fright (the worse the speaker, the greater the entertainment).
    7. Listened to the .05% of the talks that actually caught my interest.

Feel free to add any other strategies you can remember.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't know if in this day and age of wireless technology one can place a small receiver in the ear and listen to music or other things transmitted from a device held in a pocket.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Sometimes I would actually get carried away reading the Bible. But not necessarily the scriptures under discussion, but reading like several pages and finding it kind of interesting.

Of course, I felt guilty - after all, I was there to study the WT, not the Bible!

• jgnat
    jgnat

• Count the congregation and compare them to the announced numbers.
    • Work out the demographics. Is there a missing generation? (yes!)
    • Blank notebook and pen. Write and draw what I want.
    • If hubby pokes me by way of "good point", write on his hand.
    • Write down the really outrageous stuff and post it here.
    • Play games on my pocket PC, while opening to the appropriate page of my blank Watchtower.
    • Sing the melodies louder than anyone else.
    • Wink and make faces at toddlers.
  • LDH
    LDH

Hilarious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit