Reasoning on use of Blood to safe lives!

by Quandary 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandary
    Quandary

I don't post very often on this board and when I do I'm quite laconic. It's my nature, Im a person of few yet concise words. That being said I would like to share my brief thoughts on the blood issue as I see it.

All JWs are familiar with the words at Luke 22:20 as they are read ritually every Memorial: " ...This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my BLOOD, which is to be poured out in YOUR behalf."

My simple reasoning is this:

Since Jesus gave his BLOOD for our salvation, what is so wrong with us giving our blood to save someone's life? Isn't the use of blood for the saving of life an approved practice since our Leader set the precedent?

Just my take on the matter.

I feel the whole blood issue should just be a matter of conscience.

Q

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Simple enough; no quandry there.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Well done.

The problem is of course, the fog gets in the way. Just look at the WTS blood pamphlet title "How Can Blood Save your Life?". You would think the WTS is for life saving and if you read the document you would think everyone agrees blood is dangerous. But that if far from the truth. The whole pamphlet is a masterpiece of deception. And to Witnesses who do not read much other than the odd WT rag and who let someone else do their thinking for them, they can be easily sucked in.

Personnally I feel the blood-eating of an animal that is killed should be a conscience issue which is completely different than a life saving blood transfusion. The WTS should come out in full support of blood transfusions that save lives. And they should educate the Witnesses on what are the advantages and disadvanges using properly trained medical staff.

hawk

( http://www.ajwrb.org

• sleepy
    sleepy

I agree

John 6:54 says,
    "He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life,"
    Although jesus wasn't being literal here why would he choose to illustrate what his death ment to others , that his dying and you accepting his death in place of your own,was like eating his blood in that way if it wasnt a greater good to give your life and blood if it ment saving someone else if god didn't approve?

Why would jesus say it was as if you were eating his blood ,if the very concept was wrong?

Remmember this speach was shocking to the jews , because they thought it wrong to eat blood .
    many left jesus on hearing this.

If jesus didnt think it right to eat blood to save life why did he say this?

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

I like these simple post. I feel the simpler you can make it the more force it has.

Lurkers will get it I hope.

I'll defend your right to say it, but it doesn't mean I beleive it.

• Moxy
    Moxy

maybe a good question ethically, but theologically the answer is very simple. the only proscribed use of blood in the bible is for sacrifice.

mox

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

dubs believe that the bible forbids transfusion, thus divine direction.

it is better to obey god than to break a law in order to save a life
    why you may ask?

becuase dubs believe that God can and will resurrect those who
    die in his name. So to die now, if for obedience to Jehovah,is certainly not something to look forward to , but is not something to be feared.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko
    Luke 14
    Then he asked them, "If one of you has a son or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull him out?"
    And they had nothing to say.

Jesus said that saving even the life of an ox was more important than obnserving the sabbath, a sacred law. Saving of life overides laws. (example..in the US you have to stop at red lights..but if you have to rush a dying person to the hospital lest he bleed to death, running the red lights would be acceptable)

-Dan

• sleepy
    sleepy

Moxy

I dont know which side you're batting for, but please could you define what you mean by sacrifice?

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

must we always bat for a side??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit