WTS statistics question

by parakeet 3 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

Does anyone know how the WTS tallies the number of JWs worldwide? I ask because so many on this board and elsewhere, including me, have gradually faded away from the JWs, have become "inactive" in WT terms. Are inactive JWs included when the WTS publishes the total number of JWs worldwide? Or do the elders in the individual congs keep the Society informed about the active vs. inactive JWs? I'm asking because I wonder how trustworthy the WTS's published numbers for JWs are.

• blondie
    blondie

Only active (or at least irregular) publishers are counted. You don't have to be baptized but you do have to be approved by the service committee (3 elders, PO, secretary, service overseer) to become an unbaptized publisher. If a publisher does not turn in time one month, they are not counted but are designated "irregular." If they do not turn in a time slip for 6 consecutive months, they are designated "inactive" and drop off the radar until they turn time in again...plus the elders prefer you give the illusion of attending the meetings when you turn in a time slip.

Now the reality is that some book study conductors or service overseers may turn in a slip for you to make themselves look good. Some publishers may turn in time but not have "preached" at all.

Blondie

• parakeet
    parakeet

Thanks, Blondie. I'm glad I "don't count" with the JWs any more, both figuratively and literally!

• stapler99
    stapler99

That has reminded me of a change a while ago where instead of putting field service reports in a box at the Kingdom Hall they were now to be put in a box at the book study. If what you say about book study conductors is right then this would make it easier to fake them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit