A fine witness

by elliej 5 Replies latest jw friends

• elliej
    elliej

I just felt like sharing my experience from the weekend, thanks in advance for letting me vent.

We travelled to our home state for the holiday, the first visit my husband has made home since Christmas. His family (non-JW) held a "get together" on Sunday so everyone could see him and visit. His brother, a witness, refused to attend even though he has not seen us in 5 months. He is shunning us because we told him we were leaving the organization. What did he do instead? He attended a worldy aquaintance's MEMORIAL DAY PARTY.

The sad part is that this joker doesn't even begin to comprehend the scope of his hypocrisy. He actually believes that he is "doing Jehovah's will"!! He thinks that he is justified. And when someone finally gets the nerve to point it out to him, he will chalk it up to persecution and only become more convinced that he is right.

What a fine witness to his non JW family members, don't you think? I mean, I don't even have to spread my apostate information because he is doing such a good job of turning everyone off about his religion. The good news is that my husband says that any remaining doubts he may have had are completely gone, he has no question that we did the right thing.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

They are their own worst enemy, aren't they? Sorry it was hurtful to your husband, but at least it solidified in his mind what a load of lies "the truth" is! Blessings to you both.

• blondie
    blondie
    His brother, a witness, refused to attend even though he has not seen us in 5 months. He is shunning us because we told him we were leaving the organization. What did he do instead? He attended a worldy aquaintance's MEMORIAL DAY PARTY.

When I read accounts like yours elliej, it makes me realize that these people did not become like this, they always were like this. It is just that he is making you the target. If you think back, you will probably remember other occasions where he was hypocritical like this. He sees it as a personal affront; how others will treat him if they discover your "secret." He is not concerned really about "God" and "God's" feelings. I wonder how he explains it to the non-JW family. I'm glad they did not let him spoil the party by making you stay away so he would come.

Blondie (been there too)

• elliej
    elliej
    When I read accounts like yours elliej, it makes me realize that these people did not become like this, they always were like this. It is just that he is making you the target. If you think back, you will probably remember other occasions where he was hypocritical like this. He sees it as a personal affront; how others will treat him if they discover your "secret." He is not concerned really about "God" and "God's" feelings. I wonder how he explains it to the non-JW family. I'm glad they did not let him spoil the party by making you stay away so he would come.

Yes, blondie, I can think of many instances where he played the hypocrite: he has always been able to justify anything and everything. He attends all the holiday celebrations he likes but then avoids others because he "doesn't celebrate holidays". And when we told him he did take it very personally, but he didn't try to hide it. He promptly shaved off his goatee, which had grown in very nicely during the weeks and months that he had been skipping meetings, and told on us. He has spread the word far and wide. We were considered more spiritual than he was, so I think he feels very superior right now.

As far as how he will explain it to the family, he won't. He doesn't know that his daughter told us where they were going and I'm sure that he will never admit it. He figures that it is okay as long as nobody finds out, and if they do he will justify it by lying. I say good, let him dig himself into a hole he cannot remove himself from. Then when the members of his congregation wise up to him he will find out first hand about JW love.

• luna2
    luna2

Reminds me of the thread about those weak and puny dubs being more extreme in their shunning than stronger ones. Shunning is relatively easy and makes such a big statement, doesn't it? Oh, Jehoober, look what I did! Aren't I the strong and devoted follower, though? This ought to get me into the "New System", right?

That's okay, you didn't want to socialize with that dumby anyhow.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

That's a good point luna2.

Hypocricy is one of my pet hates too. These Dubs are not 'God-fearing', but 'Org-fearing'. They fear getting 'caught out' by the Org, but dismiss God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit