Blood, DPA Question ... how do you void?

by karen7680 3 Replies latest jw friends

• karen7680
    karen7680

Since leaving the organization, I never gave any thought to the blood issue or the DPA (Durable Healthcare Power of Attorney)that I signed 3 or 4 years ago. Now that I have surgery scheduled in 3 and a half months ... one in which the surgeons will have a high degree of bleeding to control, it has been on my mind a lot.

It got me to thinking about how my DPA is technically still in effect and my JW mother and my elder brother-in-law have medical say if I am not able to express my wishes.

My question is ... how do you officially void a DPA? Also, I am aware that even without a DPA, when one is unable to make medical decisions, by law, it automatically goes to next of kin. This is quite a concern if all of your next of kin are active j-dubs. So how do I make sure that they do not get that kind of control where I know they will not respect my current wishes if an emergency occurs?

By the way, I do not have a spouse or significant other to replace as my DPA. Also, I have visited the AJWRB and found nothing helpful as to what to do if you wish to accept a blood transfusion, void out a DPA, or anything else related to this matter. I have not emailed any of them yet. It seems like it is mostly run by active elders which kinda gives me sick feeling ... elders.

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
    -Harvey Fierstein

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

What you need to do is have a conversation with your doctor and do a new durable power of attorney. Most hospitals have DPA forms that you can complete. If you do it ahead of time, and make sure that your doctor has a copy there should be no question.

I would also recommend telling your parents about this so that they will not have to wonder how you feel. Several years ago my sister, who had not attended a meeting in years, got in a horrible car accident. She needed a blood transfusion, and it was a very hard decision for my mother because she was not sure how my sister felt. Since my sister was living a very "worldly" life (actually, she was a heavy drinker and partier) and was never baptised, my mother decided not to make an issue of her receiving blood. I would hate for your family to have to make a decision and not be sure of what you really want. Doing a new DPA will take the onus of your family and make your wishes clear.

Thanks for posting this...althought I DO have a nonJW husband, I have not done a dpa and don't think I have made myself clear to my mom. If my hsuband and I were to ever get into an accident together, my mom would most likely be the one they would ask.

• AlanF
    AlanF

My first reaction is that you should contact the hospital where you plan to have the surgery, explain the situation to the administrators, and sign legal documents with their help that void out any DPA's that might previously have been in place. If your circumstances permit, you might try to retrieve any such documents from your JW relatives and make your position clear. If you can't do that, then the hospital administrators should be able to help you sign documents specifically excluding any JWs at all, especially your relatives, from making decisions for you about blood.

AlanF

• patio34
    patio34

Excellent question that I've had too. But it semms clear that a new DPA would negate any previously dated ones.

Did you know the sneaky 'priestcraft' WTS has a clause in their DPA that it CANNOT BE OVERRIDDEN ORALLY? You cannot change it once you're in the hospital. That's unconscionable.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be filling out a new one this month.

I DID check at the hospital where I had my surgery and my religion was already listed as unknown and no flag was in my file that I was a JW. So much for effieciency, huh? But that's a good thing.

Thanks for the reminder!

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit