Real meaning of Memorial Day (US)

by joe_black 4 Replies latest jw friends

• joe_black
    joe_black

Traditional observance of U.S. Memorial day has diminished over the years. Many Americans nowadays have forgotten the meaning and traditions of Memorial Day. At many cemeteries, the graves of the fallen are increasingly ignored, neglected. Most people no longer remember the proper flag etiquette for the day. While there are towns and cities that still hold Memorial Day parades, many have not held a parade in decades. Some people think the day is for honoring any and all dead, and not just those fallen in service to our country.............My question is, now that most here are out of the "organization" have you laid a wreath, decorated a fallen soldiers grave or just flew a flag on memorial day, whether it was for a relative, good friend or just in remembrance of all who have died in war?

• billbarton
    billbarton

I think it's a personal matter. Let each of us decide on such things. The Bible says the same.

• cheen
    cheen

Myself being suppressed for so many years in this cult, never really had the opportunity to lay a wreath at many of my relatives of the past's gravesites. I Never considered the sacrifice they made for myself and all who live in this great country. But since I left this inconsiderate cult, I always phone my aunt(Lost her husband, my uncle in vietnam) on Memorial day when I'm overseas in Hong Kong, or go see ones who have lost loved ones when I'm in the states.....As for billbarton's comment above, I don't think he understood what you meant by your post. Some of us don't believe what the "bible" says anymore billbarton. It could be a fairytale for all we know. What is important is that now that we're not suppressed by this destructive cult anymore we now have the opportunity to pay the proper respect to our fallen. Please do.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Went by the huge Veterens cemetary in Los Angeles and their were dozens of Boy Scouts putting out American Flags on the graves....really a beautiful site. I remember...I hope others do too.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

We do the same on Armistice day, also on Rememberence Sunday (I think you guys call it Veterens Day, in November).

I find it difficult to see what the problem is with honouring those who gave their lives that yet unborn generations might experience freedom...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit