my grandpa's memorial today at the KH...

by Princess 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

My husband and I attended the memorial for my grandpa Henry Zinser today. As we got closer to the kingdom hall my stomach was tied in knots and I wanted to throw up. As I expected, we were invisible to most in attendance. A couple of sisters talked to me but most of the people whom I have know my entire life ignored me, as did then entire body of elders. The PO's wife who is new since we left, greeted my brother (who is also out and doesn't know the woman) with, "I understand you haven't even called your grandmother yet". I didn't know this or I would have hunted her down. I think that is why he didn't tell me.

The speaker actually did a very nice job. The first half was all about Henry, his accomplishments both JW and personal. We were surprised how much time he spent talking about him, it was unusual for a witness memorial and a bit of a relief. He then asked another brother to come up and speak. He was wonderful. I wish I had gone over and told him afterward how much I enjoyed his comments. He obviously knew and had affection for my grandpa. Mulan told me he is a lurker, which explains alot! If you are reading this Joe, thank you. Then the first speaker took on the blank expression of a drone and spewed out the usual drivel.

I'm never going back. I can't think of one event that would cause me to have to go back to a KH again. I'm free! Yay! I'm free!

Princess

• Grunt
    Grunt

Hi Princess,
    I am happy for your freedom and saddened by the loss of your grandfather. I am sure he was a good man and I'm glad the speaker remembered that it was about him and not a chance to "witness" to a captive audience. May I also sound a "Barbaric Yawp" to your independence??? YAWP!!!

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

I too am sorry for the loss of your grandfather Princess. I know words can never express a loss so great as that to death. Just be warmed by the memories you have of him and know that he loved you.

C

When the pain of being where we are, becomes greater than our fear of letting go...we will risk and heal and grow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit