"Even Most JWs Agree to Blood..."

by CountryGuy 5 Replies latest watchtower medical

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Today, I went to the doctor and scheduled some elective surgery. This, of couse, required some paperwork. One of the items I had to sign was a consent to have a blood transfusion if necessary.

As he was explaining it, he told me, "I've never had to give a transfusion for this procedure, but we want to be safe." As I'm signing the document, he keeps "selling" the fact that transfusions are very safe. Which is kinda weird because there is no way for him to know that I used to be a JW.

He went on to say, "Even most Jehovah's Witnesses will agree to allow us to give them a couple of pints of blood if necessary." I told him that I had relatives who were JWs and I was well aware of their false doctrine regarding blood transfusions.

So, the question is was he telling the truth or trying to make a patient feel better? Since he's going to be cutting on me, I'm hoping for the first...

CountryGuy

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Sounds odd. Perhaps you still "smell of JW"...

• LDH
    LDH

Wow this is wierd....he never knew you as a JW?

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy
    Sounds odd. Perhaps you still "smell of JW"...

Oh my. I don't think so. Maybe I had some dog crap on the bottom of my shoe!

~~~~~

Nope. Never went to this doctor as a JW. I know that in the US, there is a database that healthcare providers use to record diagnoses. Doctors use it to pull a new patient's medical history; and insurance companies us it to help determine things like preexisting conditions. I wonder if there's some sort of idication of religious affiliation?

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Maybe the suit, tie, and magazine bag were a give-away?

Pope

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I'm guessing your records are in a database somewhere and the fact that you were a JW came up. Maybe he was just trying to feel you out and see if that was still your position? As far as saying that most JW's relent and secretly take some blood, I'm not sure if this is true. Perhaps he was just saying that in the hopes to sway you because he thought you may not be a very devout JW who was sitting on the fence?

I had surgery a few years ago, and the anasthesiologist told me he had NEVER seen a JW who recanted on their position on blood at the last minute. I'm inclined to believe him judging just from the experiences of the JW's I know.

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit