Doctor Who, The Cybermen, The WTBTS and Cognitive Dissonance!!!!!

by Gill 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

A fantastic episode of Dr Who was on last night.

The Doctor is having to get rid of the Cybermen who are taking over the Earth in a parallel universe. Their creator is, in his mind fighting disease, imperfection, death, by taking out people's brains, putting them into metal bodies that can never decay, and over riding their emotions.

The Doctor asks the creator of the cybermen what point there will be in living and existing, if it was not for suffering and pain and death. There would be nothing to strive for, nothing to overcome. The human race would stand still and achieve nothing anymore. This was very poignant and had all of us sitting there going wow! And me going....ah like the WTBTS!!! At which they all tutted, of course!

Then, the doctor gets to over ride the emotional inhibitors that the cybermen had fitted that stopped them having feelings. The result, as the cybermen saw and realised what they had become, they went crazy and died. This reminded me of what happens when the blinkers of Cognitive Dissonance is lifted and the dreadful emotional turmoil people go through when their realities are altered, and they see reality for what it is!

Wow!!!

I'm in love with Doctor Who!! (Just don't tell my husband!)

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I thought the same thing. It was a great episode.

Im not sure why all the cybermen clutched their heads and died when they had their emotions restored. I thought their pain would have been emotional pain which then led to mass suecide, but hey, im not nit picking, because I too LOVE Dr Who!!

• Gill
    Gill

Katie - It was brilliant, wasn't it. That poor Cyberman who caught sight of his/her reflection in the metal!!! So sad.

Extreme emotional pain kills just like any other pain. Bloody good episode!

• Kero-kero
    Kero-kero

Isn't this new series of Dr Who great.....All of us in the UK grew up on Doctor Who...and the return of the Cybermen was just awesome. I love their new look, so much more threating...don't you think.

But...yeah...when I heard the Doctor speak at the end of the episode I was thinking about how the WTBTS conditions our minds to think how wonderful life is under the WTS. We were controlled by that...but instead of going crazy and dying...I felt relief when I regained my personality and clearity on real life. But it does bring hardships...My wife is still a dub...and she still does not like me not going to meetings and keeps going on about how I will find out when it is too late..etc, etc. And people I thought were friends have proven otherwise.

Anyway...I want to see more of K9...The new Doctor, David Tennat, is the best Doctor Who since Tom Baker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/index.shtml

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I have to agree one of my favorite 'Tennant' episodes. I hadn't linked it to the WTBS, maybe that shows how far I have come from that loony asylum? Good ending for Micky too! And as far as fancying Mr Tennant, no certainly not! But i would agree he is a good looking bloke with cool clothes.

CS 101

• Kero-kero
    Kero-kero

Yeah...good see Micky end up a hero...Even the Doctor was proud of him.

It's good to see Doctor Who with better story lines...It really started to lose the plot near it's end in the 1980's and then there was that terrible made for tv film..so I was bit concerned that maybe the new Dr. Who series would be a let down...But so far so good...and it has still kept the humour, which is great.

When I was younger my mother knitted me a long multi-coloured scarf just like Tom Baker had when he was the Doctor. I thought it was so cool.

• daystar
    daystar

The Sci-Fi channel started showing the first Doctor Who season here in the U.S. not too long ago. My son and I love it.

• rassillon
    rassillon

Thanks alot, you have spoiled the ep. for me, here in the US we the first season hasn't finished yet.

I have had to download the episodes.

I am only on season 2 ep 2.

I grew up with Tom Baker, my favorite. But I will say that the new series is quite good and faithful to the original.

Howdy folks from across the pond.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    I grew up with Tom Baker, my favorite.

Ditto for Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit