Worship of planes?

by gringojj 8 Replies latest jw friends

• gringojj
    gringojj

I remember a post a while back that talked about some people on an island or something that worshipped planes or something because they used to drop off packages with parachutes during a war or something. Can anyone link me to that thread or refresh my memory as to who those people are?

Thanks!

• poppers
    poppers

I am not sure about the post you are referring to, but it reminds me a movie called The Gods Must be Crazy. Here is a synopsis from Amazon.com:

South African director Jamie Uys caught lightning in a bottle with The Gods Must Be Crazy--a Coke bottle, to be specific. This slaphappy collection of goofy pratfalls and culture-clash gags became an enormous international smash, and made a sort of star out of the Bushman selected to play the central role, the completely ingratiating N!Xau. He plays a man, unaware of white culture, who finds a Coca-Cola bottle in the Kalahari (dropped by a passing pilot) and promptly has his life turned around by this mystical object. The movie looks slipshod and even amateurish at times, yet its attitude is so bubbly it's hard to resist. Proving that physical comedy remains a true international language, millions of moviegoers around the world drank it up. --Robert Horton

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001Y4LBY/ref=pd_bbs_null_2/104-6396301-2677550?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I don't recall the post, but it's called a Cargo cult. You can read about it at the following link.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

• daystar
    daystar

Right, cargo cult. May have been a post of mine.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

The people on this board worship planes: HAHA!

www.airliners.net

• hubert
    hubert

I worship p-38's.....(my avatar)

Hubert

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Hey, gringojj, thanks for mentioning this. I found some great Wikipedia links for a talk on prosperity magic that I'm trying to prepare for next spring.

gently feral

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Seriously, this is a great subject!

Cargo Cult as political theatre

gently feral

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I worship the Crotch Rocket made by William's Biological Hardware...

But yeah, cargo cults. Funny what people believe in, eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit