Religion of the week

by Zep 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Zep
    Zep

Taoism...& Lao Tzu. Last week i was an existenialist when i read a little of Dostoyevsky's 'The possessed'. The weeks before that, i just couldn't careless, since i was too caught up in the Olympic hype.

Sport is a semi-religion down here.....

• AhHah
    AhHah

That is pretty heady stuff, Zep. What is your take on existentialism? I intend to do more reading in that area myself.

• Zep
    Zep

I've only really read Nietzsche....but Tolstoy says he was 'abnormal', so there you go...

Neitzsche was insightful, but i find very little i can actually live by in his stuff. I hate intellectualism really, it's not very practical, hence the divergence into Eastern Philosophy. But that'll probably amount to nothing too...

Carl Jung makes the most sense to me when i think about it.

• TR
    TR

Zep,

Here's a new religion,
    Howz about "Sitchinizm" to coin a name. Pretty far out reading by Zecharia Sitchin. Only read one of his books, so far. Really fascinating. Supposedly based on ancient Sumerian tablets.

Tom

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

Why do we feel the need to "have" a religion? It would seem that Russell was correct in his statement that he never wanted the group of Bible Students to become a organization.

Because organizations, by their very nature of growth, must feed upon something to continue growing. And what better nourishment than it's own members? His greatest disguest was the the Bible Students would turn into the same as the Catholic Church. Which, imho, the WTBTS has evolved into the same type organization.

Unless you're talking about a mind concept with no relgious organizational backup......rather like the "God is Within Us Movement?"

Then if you find like persons, you form a group (like the Bible Students) and the whole thing just perpetuates again.

Zep, are you a religion?

waiting

• Zep
    Zep

I hate religion now Waiting.

• TR
    TR

I'm with Zep. No more religious orgs for me.

Tom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit