'Crack' Cocaine in the 80's and Grandchildren

by Larry 2 Replies latest social entertainment

• Larry
    Larry

I was raised in stereotypical NYC drug infested neighborhoods. When ‘crack’ cocaine came on the scene I was fully aware of it and the damaging results it had on familes. I recall going ‘door to door’ and seeing ‘crack’ vials and their red tops spread on the hallway floors, staircases, elevator, and in front of the project buildings. T his was the time when ‘crack’ took over those ‘hoods’ and brought out the worst in human behavior. Addicts stealing, robbing, terrorizing folks and people that loved them in unprecedented ways. In fact, many of the J-Dub teenage and adult children got caught up in the epidemic. As a result many J-Dub parents had to raised the children of these ‘crack’ fiends b/c the ‘crack’ made them incapable of raising their own children. This caused a sharp decline in their ‘service activity’ and interfered with many ‘pioneers’ not getting their ‘time in’. It got so bad that the CO mentioned, in some of his ‘local needs’ parts at the K-Hall and Circuit Assemblies, that J-Dub’s had to be ‘careful’ about raising their grandchild (even niece or nephews) b/c it had a negative effect on their ‘service activity’. As time went on it became a proverbial saying - “Remember what the CO said about raising these grandchildren, etc…” As a result, some J-Dub grandparents stop doing all they could for their grandchildren and decided to put the ‘kingdom first’. Granted, some J-Dub grandparent ignore those man-made suggestions and took good care of their grandchildren, some even taking these babies out in ‘field service’ with them – calling them ‘pioneer’ babies. Just wondering, does anyone else remember this trend during that time period?

Thxs - Larry

• juni
    juni

Hi Larry.

Interesting post. Sounds like JW mentality. Bless those ones who ignored them. It's good that Guiliani (sp?) got the city cleaned up.

I just read that New Orleans crime was worse than either NY or LA.

Juni

• serendipity
    serendipity

I never heard of this. But I did notice that JW grandparents didn't seem to be involved in their grandkids lives, unless they all lived in the same cong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit