The Mormon's "8th Article of Faith."

by Cameron 1 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cameron
    Cameron

As the Watchtower Society has its use of Proverbs 4:18 to explain away things that suggest that the Society is not what Jehovah's Witnesses believe it is, the LDS Church has its use of their "8th Article of Faith" to explain away things that suggest that it is not what Mormons think it is.

That Article goes like this: "We believe the Bible is the Word of God as far as it is translated correctly."

There is nothing wrong with such a statement. The question is, Who decides if it has been translated correctly? Answer: The LDS church. The following example shows how this Article works in actual practice...

The Church teaches that Jesus (the Son of God) is the LORD of the Old Testament. And that "God the Father" is "God" or "Elohim." But there are some Scriptures which don't agree with what the Church teaches. For example:

Psalm 110:1: "The LORD said to my Lord (Jesus), 'Sit at my right hand...'" Obviously "The LORD" cannot be Jesus Christ in this verse. I asked the Church about this. They said that this verse has not been translated correctly and that it should read, "God (Elohim) said to my Lord..."

I asked them if there is any manuscript evidence which shows that the the first Lord is "God" rather than "LORD." They said "No."

Another example: The Church teaches that Jesus is the God of Abraham. But Acts 3:13 states that Jesus is "the Son of the God of Abraham" (KJ). They again inserted their 8th Article of Faith.

I mentioned to them that it would be good to have a list of all the Scriptures that are not translated correctly so we can avoid misunderstanding something because of a mistranslation. I asked them if they had such a list. They said, "No."

It would seem that Mormon's are just as captive of an illusionary concept as Jehovah's Witnesses are. It's just that the concept holding them captive is different from the one that holds Witnesses captive.

Don at www.CaptivesOfaConcept.com

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The sterile atmosphere created by the leadership by such an organization keeps a strong chokehold on the membership. I have found it quite amazing to see how many JWs sipmly all believe the same things, with such conviction, even if the doctrines make very little sense or are based upon very confusing reasonings. It has become apparent to me that once an organization (JW, Mormon, or anything else) is able to convince a person to trust them they can take liberty to call for outright submission on the basis of their own self proclaimed righteousness without any fight from the individual member. To hand over my mind like that is something I will never do again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit