Need evidence of others with "god's holy spirit"!

by bythesea 4 Replies latest jw friends

• bythesea
    bythesea

I sent my husband off for the week with a 7 page letter outlining some of the isssues I have with the WTS. Its been a long time coming! The letter went into a lot of different areas, touching on all the big points and admitted how fearful I have become of sharing this information with him or anyone else because of not wanting to lose my friends and family over it all. He called me his first night away and had only read part of it, but his comment to me after reading about the 607 vs 586/7 confusion was "so what? What's the big deal??" In the end he said its what they are acomplishing now which proves they have God's approval and blessing and that if I'd ever been back to NY and seen for myself(as he has) how the brotherhood is blessed with holy spirit then I wouldn't have these doubts. He fails to see the relevance of the dates and what this means for their claim of the "time of the end".

So, who can give me some examples of other faiths/religions who have big accomplishments also, which would indicate they also have God's approval? He believes that the proof they have God's holy spirit on them is their world-wide preaching work, their neutrality in war/politics(being no part of the world), and of course their adherence to what he is sure is correct Bible understanding of the soul, trinity, blood and hell. Is there any other religion(s) that seems to follow most of those same teachings? How is it best to counter his argument on these issues??

Thanks for whatever help you can give!! I'm so relieved that I've finally told him some of the things that I've learned...where it goes from here is anyone's guess, but I feel its in God's hands now!!

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

hi bythesea... I don't have any info myself... does anyone?

WAC

• sir82
    sir82
    what they are acomplishing now

I'd ask, what exactly is it that they are accomplishing now?

Billions of hours preached, for a 1% growth rate? Just baptizing the children of current JWs, with 0 hours spent "in the field", should produce growth greater than that.

Magazine subscriptions - cancelled?

Awake magazine - production of new issues cut in half?

Books - now all of them, even the Bible and the bound volumes, breing produced in paperback?

Food service at conventions - cancelled?

Thousands of Bethel workers - downsized?

Sounds to me like they are shrinking, cutting back, withdrawing, circling the wagons, whatever you want to call it...what "accomplishments" in the past decade can they point to?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    So, who can give me some examples of other faiths/religions who have big accomplishments also, which would indicate they also have God's approval? He believes that the proof they have God's holy spirit on them is their world-wide preaching work, their neutrality in war/politics(being no part of the world), and of course their adherence to what he is sure is correct Bible understanding of the soul, trinity, blood and hell. Is there any other religion(s) that seems to follow most of those same teachings?

1. Many churches have donation boxes specifically to help the poor. Walk in to any Catholic church and you'll see one at each entrance. Many distribute clothing and furniture to the poor. Many operate food banks. What has the Watchtower society done to help the poor?
    2. What worldwide preaching work? My neighbours tell me no JW has been on our street in over 3 years. The few JWs I see doing "street work" walk down the street in pairs, talking to each other, while holding rolled up magazines so no one can see what they are.
    3. They are not neutral. I've heard many JWs express political opinions. They just don't vote because they don't want to get df'd.
    4. They don't stay out of wars because they love the 6 billion they condemn each day. The Watchtower just doesn't want to lose its unpaid salesmen in wars.
    5. They are part of the world, as their UN affiliation shows.
    6. To have a correct understanding of the bible one first needs a real translation of the bible. Any interlinear translation of the bible shows theirs up for what it is - translated to support their beliefs.

W

• snarf
    snarf

As far as their "world-wide preaching work" almost every religious organization has missionaries that travel the world to spread God's word and help in the communities that they settle in, so that is nothing new.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit