We all lie, all the time.

by Deputy Dog 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Why We Lie

We all lie, all the time...

From http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060516/sc_space/whywelie

...but only humans are wired to deceive both themselves and others, researchers say.

Psa 58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There are lies that harm and lies that do not harm, sometimes I lie when people ask me rude intrusive questions regarding things they are not supposed to know.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I always lie. In fact I'm lying right now!

• VM44
    VM44

Listen carefully to what I say...

I am lying.

--VM44 (of the Harry Mudd logic class)

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

ddog,

sometimes i'm amazed at the outrageous, bizarre things people convince themselves are true. oh no i just thought of an awake article, first time for that, what a strange sensation. anyway, how about this: SELF DECEPTION : God's way to a successful life as a bethelite?

i was raised in a family of a few master story tellers, such as myself, and a whole bunch of liars.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Alas, part of our simian heritage. Would that we had evolved from a more upright (pun intended) species.

S

• Brigid
    Brigid

What would the world look like if no one lied? If your mother told you, I was planning on leaving your father but then I saw the little pink cross and knew I was trapped forever--but I love you anyway. If your lover told you, I want to have sex with that woman over there, and that woman, and that woman, let's face it, I'm hardwired to be very visually driven and you have let yourself go--but I love you and my will to not harm you is stronger than my sexual drives. If you told a lover, I am hard-wired to seek a mate who will provide for myself and my offspring, you're not the best lover and you're a little on the "small" side, but my innate drive to be provided for will compensate for your lack of prowess--I do love you despite your inadequacies.

Lies keep our society together. So yes, we lie all the time, mostly to ourselves because one of the hardest things to do is to look in the mirror--really "see" the person on the otherside and their life and not recoil in absolute horror.

The distinction is between truth and reality--which is the subset of the other? I do not know. I believe ultimately there are only 2 realities: Fear and Love--the real LOVE that overrides all the negative "realities" we build around ourselves.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Coming from the black and white wt world, it is hard to imagine that lies are sometimes necesary in the social world: lies to shield the tender feelings of children from the cold hard facts, lies to mollify the the feelings of the upset or temporarily deranged, lies in the high diplomatic circles, lies get deals done in high finance. The list goes on, and on. It is funny how the lies of some of the biblical patriarchs are justified, as are wt lies, which are renamed 'spiritual warfare'. Lies to cover the original lies, imo. If noone had feelings, egos, or strong desires, cold, hard truths would be the standard. In the real world, those who step up and take responsibility often do what needs to be done to get things done. Among those things, lying is often a lesser evil.

Those are my observations. However, i suppose my old programming or my nature is that being truthful is best. But, i'm not sure if it is, as i haven't swam w very many sharks. In my dealings w a few sharks, i have been honest, and it has worked for me.

S the ambivalent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit