This is insane!

by Soledad 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Soledad
    Soledad

I came across this article today while looking for some recipes.......can you believe this! Did you know about it?

http://www.soilandhealth.org/06clipfile/0601.LEMag/LE%20Magazine,%20March%202001%20-%20Report%20Vegetables%20Without%20Vitamins.htm

• Chimene
    Chimene

That's exactly why I want my own green house so bad!

• blondie
    blondie

A good reason to grow your own and take a multi-vitamin with minerals.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

They missed out one huge reason (or I didn't spot it maybe?) for the lower vitamin content in fruit and veg - that is the amount of time it takes to get from the field to the consumer. Fresh produce begins to deteriorate the minute it is harvested. Al ot of commercially produced fruit and veg is put into cold storage for weeks, sometimes months (in the case of potatoes at least) during this time, although the chilling reduces the rate of nutrient loss, it is still happening.

This is why many health experts will advise buying fresh-frozen produce, the sooner after harvesting, the better as freezing will virtually halt the nutrient loss. Also try to buy fresh produce only when it is in season locally.

And when you're cooking, don't overdo it - overboiling is a notorious vitamin killer!

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

Do you realize how wonderful this news is? I have no reason to eat my vegetables anymore! Wait til I show my wife. whoooooooooooohoooooooooo.

• White Waves
    White Waves

I may also be because produce is hybridized to shorten time to harvest and improve appearance with little thought to taste and no thought to nutritional content. Also, I think of all the chemicals used on them. There are fewer and fewer varieties of every kind of produce. This has similar effects as in-breeding in wildlife - increased susceptibility to disease. Corn is one of the most hybridized vegetables. There are seed banks around the world gathering and storing vanishing varieties of produce in the event of such problems. True victorian or antique produce lines do have higher concentrations of nutrients - many organic growers are bringing these often less visually appealing, yet more nutritious produce items to consumers. After a few years of organic farming, many of these farmers claim that it is actually cheaper and more profitable than commercial methods. If you want more nutrition for your buck and have it available in your area - go with fresh produce - go with organic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit