one more reason to loathe the Society

by Richie 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Richie
    Richie

Today I called my daughter who has a 16 month-old son, so see how she is doing etc and at the same time was asking if I could see her and my grandson tomorrow afternoon... She said "why do you want to see us.., don't you know that you're disfellowshipped..you should know better"...
    Well I told her incidentally that I am her father and a grandfather to her son, she responded by saying again that I am df'd and I am not going to the meetings anymore etc etc etc....
    I started arguing with her that this was not right and then in the middle of the heated conversation I decided to just hang up on her as I had enough of this abhorrent mindset which is so similar to the bodysnatchers' mentality...
    By the way, I was df'd 1 1/2 years ago for the reason that I stopped attending meetings....
    I am cut to the heart, but then again after looking inside of me, I am a free man and not involved anymore with an unnatural lifestyle reserved for zombies...

:*) Richie

You are the music as long as the music last...............

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Richie: You said that you were DF'd 1.5 years ago because you simply stopped attending meetings. If that is the case, you may have two basis for a lawsuit against the Society and Elders. The Watchtower PR site clearly states that those who simply ceased to be involved are not shunned and that even being DF'd does not sever family ties. Therefore, you might consider talking with an attorney who specialized in civil rights litigation, or contact your state bar association for guidance as to which attorneys may be best suited to you. When the organization DF's for reasons other than what is clearly spelled out to members, and violates thier published policies, then this may give you a "cause of action" against them to reverse their decision and pay you monetary damages. (And who knows, if you win a few dollars in a settlement, you can take your grandson to DisneyLand - compliments of the Watch Tower Society). Again, an attorney in your state can be of great help.

I too feared the same shunning when I was planning to leave, but was fortunate to get my family out with me. So, I relate to your fear. I hope that you can find a way to be able to get this resolved. - Amazing

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

And on TOP of the fact that it sounds as if you were wrongly disfellowshipped--grandparents have rights, and can sue for visitation. You cannot keep your children from their grandparents. It's morally wrong, unless they are a danger to the children. I make sure that my daughter maintains a relationship with my mother who's a dub, I also make sure my daughter has contact with her paternal grandparents, even though I'm divorced from her father. It's my obligation as a mother to make sure she has her family ties.
    I'm sorry for what you're going through. Sue or threaten to sue, if you need to. This is wrong. Your grandson has a right to know you.
    B.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit