Is Jonah the Anti-Christ? Is that why he didn't want the evil people saved

by Judas I. 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Judas I.
    Judas I.

Seems Him and Jesus had completely different desires and the same job to do.

Any thoughts?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

nah .he just didnt want to preach and jehovah made him do it anyway.

• cyrus
    cyrus

Jonah was just a pussy he was terrified of going there to ninevah to warn them .Fear was controling his thinking and actions that was all .Now lets think for a minute if you were told to go into say south central la and preach to the inhabitants ;youre a bunch of drug addicted sex mad murderers fornicating drug dealing scum and god is going to destroy u soon.How long do u think u would have to live ?

Only a moron or mental case would do it wouldnt they so really u cant blame jonah .

• Judas I.
    Judas I.

Really...why did he get upset that all those evil people were spared then?

Would Jesus have been mad about it?

Would Jonah's witnesses be upset if you got the same reward they did?

• Kero-kero
    Kero-kero

No...Jonah was scared of going to Ninevah to warn the people about the coming of Jehovah's judgment upon their city. Can't say I blame him...I would have been scared also.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Really...why did he get upset that all those evil people were spared then?

He was mad because he had the 'Pharisaical' attitude that salvation from punishment by God was exclusive to the Israelites. He wanted them to 'get what they deserved' - as suggested by cyrus, the Ninevites did have quite a bad reputation!

Jesus wouldn't have acted like this - he is seen in the Gospels extending mercy to 'outcasts' - tax collectors, Samaritans and the like. The difference is that he put the person before their sins or their cultures. (contrast here, love versus judgementalism)

So I guess the answer to your original question is (but bearing in mind that this was BC!) yes Jonah had a spirit of antichrist - but he wasn't the antichrist (if there is such a person)

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Read this thread: Jonah as Fiction

Especially interesting is the verbal indebtedness to the 2 Kings Elisha story. In a similar way Jesus is made to be a reluctant prophet in the Cannaanite woman story of Matt 15 being discussed in the Bible research section. It was a familiar plot line.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Jonah 4:1f:

But this (that Yhwh decided not to punish Nineveh ) was very displeasing to Jonah, and he became angry. He prayed to the LORD and said, "O LORD! Is not this what I said while I was still in my own country? That is why I fled to Tarshish at the beginning; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and ready to relent from punishing."

The interpretation that Jonah didn't want Nineveh spared is consistent with OT intertextuality, inasmuch as 2 Kings (14:25) presents "Jonah son of Amittai" (= Jonah 1:1) as a nationalistic prophet who was instrumental in reinforcing the defense system of Israel under Jeroboam II.

• cyrus
    cyrus

everyone new the ninevites rep they were scum they deserved to die but lets face it who thoughtt they would go all brady bunch and beg forgiveness ?jonah new these people he had prob heard nany stories about their disgusting acts .They deserved death .witnesses know today that many people are scum and cant wait for jehovah to shazam the lot of them .There is more chance of the beatles reforming than most saying they are sorry and turning around .

Can you imagine the reaction of most jws if most of the the pop of earth repented and jah just said Right ive changed my mind theve all said they are sorry ill just bring paradise anyway well done you jdubs ....I wond how much different would they be to jonah in thier reaction ..Would actually be quite funny

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Well I continue to make embarassing remarks. Forget the earlier comment about 2 Kings and Elisha. My mind was elsewhere. For one I meant Elijah and 1 kings. Thankyou narkissos for making the correct point about the brief mention of a Jonah in 2 Kings that likley sparked the later book of Jonah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit