Does an employer have the authority to force you to lie to a customer?

by Judas I. 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Judas I.
    Judas I.

I ran up on this problem yesterday...A car came in failing the VET, turned out the O2 sensor was unplugged. My boss wrote out the paper to go back to the VET as it was "shorted out". Then told me to sign it. I politely refused. He got made and asked me if I was "stupid". I offered "perhaps you need to find someone who will both lie to you and customers then". I was met with silence.

Any thoughts?

At what point does capitalism and honestly clash?

Can the people with the power, force us to treat people the way that benefits their pockets the most? Or do we just have to do the work, yet free to make our own moral decisions in dealing with people?

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

I think you did the right thing!

• Judas I.
    Judas I.

What will happen if all capitalists adopt and modify this tactic? I think it had a positive effect on my boss...He is really trying hard to be honest now..and has increased my freedom here. I pretty much run the shop for him, and business is suddenly BOOMING!

Is this what happens from doing the right thing?

Lets have some fun.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Sometimes a reputation can make a difference, especially in a profession like auto mechanics. Unfortunately however most buying/ hiring decisions are a simple matter of bottom line. This is one of the fundemental flaws with a laissez faire approach. Market forces do not consistantly reward the ethical. However I suspect that even in the auto mechanics trade, if a garage opens that advetises to work at a reduced shop rate or gives a coupon for a free dinner with every oil change they will win the public's business.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

The garage that fixed the rattle under the car and didn't charge me because it was a five minute job got my business next time the car rattled.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit