I'm a registered voter now

by TweetieBird 7 Replies latest jw friends

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Hubby and I were at Trader Joe's the other day and a guy asked us to sign his petition. After we signed he asked if we were registered voters. We said no and he asked if we'd like to be. So we signed up. It's a weird feeling. I've known the truth about "the truth" for about 10 years now, but it's still strange to go against the Society like that. The brainwashing goes sooooo deep.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Cool! It is a victory every time we squelch that code they embedded.

I will be registered soon. Isn't this freedom to be part of what matters to us one of the most outstanding things about the exit?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I am torn about that whole thing and it has nothing to do with the jw thing.

I hang out with a friend whose family is all in politics and she is married to a state rep and in turn I have been to parties/gatherings/social events w/ local state reps/congress men/women. And who ever coined the phrase, lesser of two evils was not kidding. I don't trust a word any of them say. Even my GF's husband. I asked my GF why she did not go into politics and she said because she would have to lie down with the devil or prostitute herself to get votes and/or keep in office and she was not willing to do it. She is independent, she never votes a straight party, but even she is often times frightened of the people running for office.

A clear example of that, an official was elected all the while he had been taken to the hospital about a week before the voting process because he had had a stroke. My GF voted for Mr. Stroke rather then the other guy .... why, because she said that at least if Mr. Stroke could not perform his duties, the board would elect someone who could and she would rather run the risk of Mr. Stroke doing the job then the other guy running because he is "evil" and she has known the other guy since she was a kid. JC, people!

Thus, I continue to be hesitant. But good on ya for moving ahead with your life.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Tweetiebird,

I understand how you feel. I am not a registered voter yet either. I don't think there is anything wrong with voting for what you want your tax dollars to pay for. Afterall, how many times did you sit at the hall after the CO would leave, and they would all take a "vote" on if the contributions should pay for his expences. What is the difference, really?? Just because people vote does not mean people are putting their faith in man over God. Some do, but I don't believe it's the majority. It is so nice to be able to look at things and make a decision based on our personal conscience. NOT based on what we are told to do by the Society. But Faith and our love for God moves us.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Panda
    Panda

{{{Tweetie Bird}}} Congratulations.

How great I felt to get my voters registration card! I thought HEY this is freedom. Now you will be able to decide more than the lesser of 2 evils (thats the way JWs taught us about the world). There are many issues which you may become more involved in like school board agenda, local police, mayor, council persons, etc., because you now have a voice.

And when anyone asks you, if you happen to complain about an election outcome, well, did you vote? You can say yes. Not voting is having no voice by choice.

And the best thing is that functioning as a part of democracy, you are not claiming to have the knowledge that leads to eternal anything, you are standing up not only for your self but olthers too.

Many non-voters have no idea how much can be changed at the local level by local voters. And really we can only change the world one person at a time, so a local vote may send some kid to college through a local scholarship. I live in a very small town and there are several local scholarship programs. But you have to want to participate, and voting is the way to go. Best Wishes to You! Panda

• joe_black
    joe_black

Congratulations TweetieBird! Registering to vote is one act that took me quite a while to do. I have always been interested in politics, even while growing up around the JW religion I would always,(of course secretly) watch the National and Local voting results. To this day I still haven't told anyone (other than wife) of my actions. I wonder how my JW family will feel when they see my name in the paper when I decide to run for one of the seats on the City Council! lol... have a great day!

• cev
    cev

My ex study conductor said you have to be registered to vote but they dont vote when an election comes up. But registering to vote is compulsory in australia. And they say u need to register and cop the fine and when you get the fine u sent a letter back saying ur an jehovahs witness.

Cev

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

It's surreal when you go to vote and rather than getting struck by lightening, the sun shines and birds sing. And after turning it all over and over in your mind a hundred different ways you finally get over yourself and realize your vote is a relatively small thing after all (though the freedom to cast it feels phenomenal, as only freedom can). And you can't help but notice how good it feels to exercise your own innate conscience about issues of significance to you and your fellow earthlings (rather than just voting on such mind numbingly benign matters as the color of the carpet and tile at the hall which was already preselected by the PO's wife anyway). Voting is a humbling experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit