JW Disaster Relief

by robhic 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• robhic
    robhic

I live right outside New Orleans. My daughter and her family live in New Orleans, but in a section that escaped most of the hurricane destruction. She knows I read this forum and recounted this story:

She said she had seen, on a couple of occasions near her home, a van with the sign "Jehovah's Witness Disaster Relief" or "Jehovah's Witness Disaster Services" or "Jehovah's Witness Disaster Relief Services." I don't remember exactly but you get the idea...

Anyway, from reading the stories and experiences of those here I have deduced that the JW's idea of a disaster relief is to get a group of volunteers, help JWs only do repairs and then "relieve" the person being helped, after deducting for materials, of their insurance money.

This leaves a marked disaster relief van somewhat odd, from what I have read. Does anyone know if this is something they do or is it maybe a local or regional thing? She hasn't mentioned it for a while but it just makes me curious as it seems to not fit what I'd expect in the circumstance.

Robert

• blondie
    blondie

I think because of the damage to so many KHs and JW homes and the evacuation of many out of the city; the WTS has lost track of as many as 6,000 JWs. The probably drive around trying to find JWs. The elders in many of the congregations I went to did not know the names, addresses, and phone numbers of many in their congregation and if their KH records were destroyed...........

Also, it seems like they are doing good to the non-JW neighbors but are wondering why they don't stop to help them.

Blondie

• robhic
    robhic

Interesting perspective. Thanks, Blondie, I suppose that makes as much sense as anything.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

June 2006 Awake

alt

• robhic
    robhic

Wow, thanks BB! I find it especially telling how they write the teams helped the local JWs and KHs .... and, oh, yeah,they also assisted some others. I wonder what that amounted to? Directions? Giving a few roofing nails or a shingle away to the supposed "others"? Their largess is underwhelming.

I wonder what sort of press the Red Cross or Salvation Army or even FEMA would get should they discriminate selectively in whom they aided?

Thanks again for that article.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit