Do you have a JW FS over zealous experience?

by White Waves 6 Replies latest jw friends

• White Waves
    White Waves

I remember feeling like a must appear rude and crazy to show up at people's doors on Christmas morning or New Year's day. Things like these always made me wonder about the sanity of my parents, for one, and the organization. Why don't JWs every get a day off?

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Yeah,tell me bout it..i was dragged out as a 10 year old on Xmas day,must have seemed strange at the least to the householders

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

I only went out one time for holiday and that was Thanksgiving.

I flatly told them I would NOT do anything else as it was ridiculous to disturb people on their favorite days.

Good grief.

cab

• luna2
    luna2

I went a couple of times on holidays, at least once with the kids. It sucked and I hated it. Went with a bunch of uber-dubs on a weekday evening right at dinner time once or twice too. I felt horrible interrupting people. Obviously, I was not cut out of Pioneer cloth.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Never went out on holidays, didn't like the idea even when I was a reg. pioneer. Don't you just love it when people say "but everybody will be home then, what better time to reach them?" what barf.

• tan
    tan

I used to feel so embarrased. No compassion for the privacy of others. I think that it's really rude to visit people when they most likely have friends and family visiting. Such an intrusion.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I deeply relate to those "go witnessing on worldly holidays" horrors. It was almost as if the org was deliberately making us do things to humiliate ourselves and outrage the people in our neighborhoods. I also just quit doing it (even while still an elder and before any serious attempts to leave it all...). With me it was a common courtesy issue -- I always made it a point to be extraordinarily polite in the FS to make a good impression on the people.

I remember reading an article on Mormonism and their missionary boys in Time or Newsweek years ago that turned on some light about this. It said that it was well known to the Mormon hierarchy that probably only a hundredth of a percent of those missionary boys ever made a convert. They kept doing it as a reminder to the public of their righteousness and as an important "rite of passage" for the missionary boys themselves.

I now think the WT org is just as cynical - they love to put the R&F into untenable situations to mind condition them to obey unquestionably. Also they love to irritate outsiders and make themselves look as weird as possible. A little "persecution" always comes on true christians - even if they brought it on themselves. Weird is good. Shame and embarrasment for the R&F in door to door is good.

So, JW pubs - lets go hit em on Thanksgiving afternoon about 12:30 or so and tell them how the pilgrims were all demonized gluttons, then ask for some money for the mags.

SICK!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit