I was once a true Prophet

by Gregor 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gregor
    Gregor

A lot said here about fading, which is a good way for some to leave the cult under their particular circumstances.

My departure involved a 'fade' period of less than two years, pretty fast considering I went from being a locally prominent elder to being DF'd for apostasy within that time period.

Because my 'fall' was pretty swift and prominent, I was approached during the 'fade' ('79-'81) in one-on-one encounters by a handful of friends, mostly elders, who sincerely wanted to help me recover from my 'spiritual sickness' as they saw it. Because they were sincere in their own way and I was sincere in my way, I had an opportunity to make some very direct, heartfelt comments that had boiled up out of my deeply emotional/intellectual transition. A statement that I made on several of these occasions turned out to be prophetic. Here's an example of one of those encounters that took place within a few days of them calling me to talk the JC:

It was a Saturday afternoon and I was working in my front yard, a car pulled up and it was my old pal, David. He got out and chatted a bit with a couple of my (5) kids who were playing ball in the street. I greeted him as he walked up to me. He seemed to have tears in his eyes and I knew he was very nervous. I tried to put him at ease, I offered him a beer and we chatted briefly about this and that. Then he got down to the point of his visit "we miss you at the meetings, you know it's the truth, the time is short, you want your kids to live in the new order...etc" I responded in kind, that is, with deep sincerety and conviction. I'll never forget putting my hand on his shoulder and saying the following- "David, mark my words. The organization has painted themselves into a corner with "generation of 1914" doctrine. Sometime before 1999 (I came up with that based on the Societies current statements that a person of 'that generation' would have to be around 12 yrs old in 1914) they will come up with "new light" to get themselves more time."

Many years later in the mid '90s, after my family and I were long gone and had about a dozen Christmas trees under our belt, a friend sent me a copy of the WT wherein they double-talked their way out of the 1914 corner I had referred to those many years before. I have often wondered if any of those brothers to whom I had made that statement had thought about it on the Sunday afternoon when it was being studied in the KH.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

gregor,

You just never know if they really listened to you. I sure hope so. Good post!

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

That is pretty interesting. Sending you a copy of the WT could be viewed several ways:

1) Now that the society agrees with you - you should come back

2) Wow - you must have had gods backing to know what 'he' would say so many years later - come back

or just

3) Come back

Was this the only contact you had with this person after that? I would follow up with more prophetic statements. Tell him what he'll be doing in five years, ten years, etc. They will think you are a genius.

• KW13
    KW13

Your confidence and the fact you were right without so called divine inspiration, will of hopefully spoke volumes. Thanks for sharing.

• LDH
    LDH

Agree with KW. So many times, pure logic just defeats claims of divinity.....

Lisa

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Great story! The thing I love about the Generation change is that it is so recent in JW history. It is SO OBVIOUS they changed it to save their own ass, but it's so hard for your regular JW to really get it.
    I remember first studying with the JWs in the late 90s and coming across that information that was never updated in the "what is the puropse of life" brochure. I got all excited and started telling people I knew, "the end of all things is so close, just look at this". Needles to say I looked like a brainwashed idiot. I've learned alot since then about thinking about what you read before you decide to believe it.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Great story, Gregor. I had almost the same experience during the "helpful talk with a fallen elder" phase in 1980 as well. I told this guy (my age at 56 now) that we would both probably live to see them back off the generation bs for the same reasons. I got called a "false prophet" who was resisting Armaggedon. I just said - well, time will tell and we will still both probably live to see what really happens.

The reaction I got when doing some quiet inquiry after the new light was this: "James was wrong anyway because he just didn't want to wait on Jehovah".

Hope your friend can see a little more clearly than that!

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It's like playing a game with people who aren't sports - the rules are laid (norms of language), the play is begun (the prophecy) and then naturally you win - but you don't get the acceptance of the win, because the loser plays spoilsport and changes the rules after the game finishes, or simply denies you as a winner.

Don't get your hopes up - like James states above, there'll be some kind of spoilsport comment.

I remember jws visiting me in the early eighties, emphatic about, "This generation blah blah blah", and I thought, "This'll be interesting in years to come, the abrupt end of a religion". At the time I had limited knowledge of jws and certainly didn't know that they'd fully accept a lie, swallow it and know it, and continue to carry on seeking absorption of others into their way.

nasty, nasty business

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit