Emotional Blackmail

by neverin 8 Replies latest jw friends

• neverin
    neverin

It's local election voting day here in the UK so a lot of kids have got the day off from school (schools are used as polling stations). I have just been walking alongside the nearby canal with my daughter and met a group of two ladies, a girl and a boy in wheelchair who were walking in the opposite direction. The boy in the wheelchair approached me and said "would you like a leaflet?". I'm hardly likely to tell a wide eyed kid in a wheelchair to bugger off so I accepted the leaflet.

Well didn't I walk straight into that one!! It was of course an invitation to arrange a 'bible' study with the JWs.

The most galling thing is it's a really beautiful day here and that poor kid is pushing this crap rather than playing out in the sunshine. It makes me so mad that his childhood memories will be based on how much time he counted rather than the carefree enjoyment of living for the moment.

• KW13
    KW13

Thats wrong, i agree. Specially in a wheel chair. Not saying he shouldn't be independent but it can't be easier on a day like this.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's sad that these kids that can't understand what relgion is all about that don't have the maturity to judge such issues are being used by the JWs to promote their interests.

• Mary
    Mary
    I have just been walking alongside the nearby canal with my daughter and met a group of two ladies, a girl and a boy in wheelchair who were walking in the opposite direction. The boy in the wheelchair approached me and said "would you like a leaflet?". I'm hardly likely to tell a wide eyed kid in a wheelchair to bugger off so I accepted the leaflet.

Yep. I'd call that emotional blackmail to the tenth degree. They know full well that no one's going to refuse a tract from a child in a wheel chair. It just pisses me off that they pull crap like this. No child in a wheel chair should have to go and peddle for a religion/multi-billion dollar corporation. And his payment/reward? Oh, he'll be out of that wheelchair in the (unspecified) not-too-distant-future, which of course, the poor kid is desperately looking forward too. I wonder how this poor kid will feel in 30 years when the New System is nowhere in sight. Hopefully by then, stem cell therapy will be in full swing and will be able to get him out of that chair.

• blondie
    blondie

He's in a wheelchair; that in of itself does not prove he is using his disability to push the JW agenda.

What if a person in a wheelchair were talking to people about the dangers of the WTS????

Blondie

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

As long as you didn't accept the offer I think your good. But who knows, do I smell Retrun Visit?

• White Waves
    White Waves

Don't all JWs use the cuteness of children to push the WT? The first field service memories I had was handing a tract to the lady at the door. I was told to smile, etc. I remember doing the same with my little brothers and sister too. Another thing taught at the KH - "Involve the children in the FS. The main point is to not upset the child if they are too young to understand you aren't rejecting them, and them don't let it go any farther. I also remember doing street witnessing in the rain on a chilling Saturday in downtown Milwaukee's corporate area... not many around then! But met a few street bums and shady characters. Enough to freak out a young kid (and her mother!).

• neverin
    neverin

"He's in a wheelchair; that in of itself does not prove he is using his disability to push the JW agenda.

What if a person in a wheelchair were talking to people about the dangers of the WTS????"

I dont know if it was deliberate ploy to use the disabled kid but there were 3 other people in the group - why didn't one of those offer the tract?

• blondie
    blondie

It could have been his "turn" to talk to the person walking by. Without knowing more, I would hate to say this person wasn't sincere. I have known and been a person in a wheelchair.

JWs don't need a wheelchair to blackmail a person; just a recent death or illness in the family, and out pops the "new system where death and sickness will be done away with soon" spiel.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit