Watchtower profits

by cev 3 Replies latest jw friends

• cev
    cev

Im wondering does the WTSBS make profits out of donotions? Because otherwise why has this cult last so long?

It really amazes me about all the things ive learnt from looking at apostate sites. Im so grateful for this forums.

Chris

• Mary
    Mary
    Im wondering does the WTSBS make profits out of donotions?

Does a snake crawl on it's belly? They certainly do make profit from donations, although they've been whining the last several years about not getting enough money from the R&F anymore. I can't even begin to imagine how much it cost to build Patterson.

The bottom line is: they get these donations, they pay Bethelites slaves wages, they get all the Kingdom Halls and Assembly Halls built with free labour (and the materials are probably purchased at cost, not retail prices), plus they seem to be expanding alot more into the Real Estate business now. Didn't they recently purchase some run-down building(s) in NY for renovation into luxury condos? They'll make a small fortune off of this, because like I said above, the labour is free. If Donald Trump bought the same piece of property, he'd have to invest alot more because he'd have to pay a decent wage for labour (which generally account for about 60% of the costs). Plus, being a "non-prophet profit organization, the Society also saves a ton on taxes.

What shocked me is when I found out that the local Kingdom Hall doesn't actually own the building, even though they've paid the mortgage on it for the last 20 years----it belongs to Mother. What a frigging rip off.

• whyizit
    whyizit

I found this a little disturbing myself. I've never been a JW, so I have a lot of questions for my JW friends. ALWAYS---they change the subject. NEVER fully answer ANY of my questions.

The church I attend gives out a quarterly statement of how much money comes in and how it is spent. That way, the congregation knows exactly how their hard-earned money is put to good use.

I asked for such a statement from my JW friends. Never got one.

I asked what kind of charities they are involved with. No answer.

To simplify it more, I asked what they did to help the people in the Tsunami, since I knew several churches were sending help for the people who lost everything. I mean, that is a great witness for Christ and Jehovah, right? To help those who are in dire need of food, and water, and housing, and medicine......

The answer? Some guys paid their own way and went to rebuild KH's. How noble.

What about here? In New Orleans, when the big hurricane hit? Same answer. Great and wonderful bunch of guys went to rebuild the KH's and some of the homes of the "brothers". Mrs. JW was sure that she heard some of them were passing out bottles of water also. Donated by the WTS? NO. Donated by a brewery. They were just helping to pass the water, sliding in some WTS publications in the process.

That conversation went silent. They wouldn't even look me in the eye. I think they knew that it just didn't sound good. Seems like the WTS likes to keep it's own agenda in tact, but isn't too keen on helping others, unless it is somehow going to benefit them. What kind of heart does that show?

Mr. JW asked me what kind of charities OUR church was involved with. I have a list of over 35 that they support on a regular basis. (Samaritan's Purse, House of Hope, World Vision, Wycliff, various food pantries and homeless shelters in our area, etc.....) What charities in THIS area are ran by the WTS?

NONE. Not one.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I keep reading threads that make me think that WTBTS has evolved into a Property Developer.

What's that Scripture at Matthew 6v 19 again?.....''Stop storing up for yourselves treasures upon the earth.......'' and THAT'S quoted from the NWT!.....as is...

verse 21, ''For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also''

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit