I may go to the cinema.

What's the difference.

• La Capra
    La Capra

Me? Neither. I go to the movies....

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Same meanings really....

However, using the word may, you should only use if you are unsure. Using the word might should be used when you are in a state of being positive.

I may go to the movie. (unsure if you are going)

I might go to the movies. (you know for sure you are going)

Brooke

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I hope this helps –

In short, "might” expresses more uncertainty. Interesting note about how such Southern phrases as “might could” actually convey a specific shade of meaning, and thus make grammatical sense.

gently feral

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

After reading the last post I looked it up on AskOxford.com

This is what they have to say......(now, I am more confused)

Might or May?
    People often confuse 'may have' and 'might have'. 'May have' should be used only when you are not sure whether or not something happened. If you want to say that at some time in the past it was possible for something to happen but in fact it did not, use 'might have'. So saying 'an accident in which two people may have drowned' implies that you do not know whether the people are alive or dead; if you say 'two people might have drowned', you are implying that they survived, although the accident could in other circumstances have led to their deaths. Brooke
  • Spectrum
    Spectrum

Whyamihere,

thanks for that. It doesn't seem that obvious does it?
    What's interesting is because I couldn't tell the difference I tried to convince myself that one implies one idea and the other another idea!

might have drowned
    may have drowned
    they still sound the same unless I really think about it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit