No one updated that Larry Slack was found guilty of first degree murder?

by loveis 7 Replies latest jw friends

• loveis
    loveis

(beating death)

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-beat28.html

Jury convicts dad of whipping girl to death

April 28, 2006

BY STEFANO ESPOSITO Staff Reporter

After flogging his 12-year-old daughter to death with an electrical cable, a somber Larry Slack told investigators he was disgusted with what he'd done.

On that point at least, a Cook County jury appeared to agree with the man prosecutors called a "sick and sadistic" tyrant. In less than three hours of deliberating Thursday, the jury convicted Slack, 46, of first-degree murder in the death of Laree Slack on Nov. 11, 2001, at the family's South Side home.

"When they showed the autopsy pictures of [Laree's] body after she was dissected, that was enough to really turn your stomach," said juror Tom Sullivan.

Slack, sitting with his elbows on the table in front of him and his fingers interlocked, bowed his head when the verdict was read but otherwise displayed no emotion. The jury also found Slack guilty of aggravated battery to a child in the beating of Laree's younger brother, Lester Slack.

During closing arguments, prosecutors told jurors that Larry Slack was someone who would inflict pain on a whim and was eager to beat Laree Slack the night she died.

"The penalty for crossing this guy -- no matter for what silly thing -- was torture," Cook County assistant state's attorney Ted Lagerwall told the jury.

When he beat Laree -- who was tied to a bare metal futon frame and gagged -- he did so "over and over and over again," Lagerwall said.

The beating started because Laree and her five siblings had been unable to find a lost credit card. The beating continued because Larry Slack was furious that Laree wouldn't take the beating quietly, prosecutors say.

"Ladies and gentleman, that isn't discipline," Lagerwall said. "That isn't corporal punishment. That's murder."

Denise Streff, one of Slack's attorneys, argued that what her client had done was wrong, but he isn't a "sadistic killer."

"Mr. Slack did not intend to kill his daughter," Streff said. "He knew it was bad . . . but he had no idea Laree wasn't going to get up and be OK."

Faces 20 years to life in prison

She reminded jurors that Slack was so upset when he realized he'd killed his daughter that he tried to commit suicide.

In his videotaped statement to prosecutors played in court Thursday, the corpulent Slack said, "I bought [a knife] for the purposes of killing myself. I hid it under the fat folds of my stomach."

But prosecutors asked jurors not to be distracted by the suicide attempt, calling it self-serving.

Cook County assistant state's attorney Rick Cenar told jurors they only had to find Slack intended to inflict "great bodily harm" to convict him of first-degree murder.

"This was a crime involving torture," Cenar said. "This was a house of pain. This was a house of torture. The king of pain is right over there."

Sentencing is set for June 1. He faces 20 years to life in prison, Cenar said.

[email protected]

• loveis
    loveis

Oops, Larry, not Leon--sorry about the mistake

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Seems that an "eye for an eye" is not an option on the table. Too bad the relative of the little girl is not allowed to take the father's life, unless he can flee to the City of Refuge (I think that was what it was called) and wait until the high priest dies and then return to his former life. I wonder what the JWs think about this verdict and the deal that the mom got to testify against her husband.

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

What that man did to his daughter is overwheming emotionally to me...What posessed him to beat his children so viciously. It is just to depressing and if I ever saw someone doing that to a child or anyone...I would call for help and try with all my might to stop it.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

T-4-2 - easier said then done.

I was in another state one day when I saw a women with a total of 5 kids, they all looked like they were 5 and under. One of the babies looked like she might have been 4. She happened to walk away from mommy and next thing I knew I saw the mother grab that baby and take a switch to her - on her face, on her back, all over. We were in the middle of a crowded big city block. I was shocked, and turned in circles and screamed HELP! HELP! All the while people walked right by me. This woman disappeared from my sight. I called 911 on my cell and felt like I was lost. When the police came, there was nothing I could do, I did not know where the women went and NO ONE STOPPED when I was screaming HELP and turning in circles. Now you may have asked why I did not chase after this women, because I was in shock. I was frozen in time.

Every single day of my life since then, I have sent out a silent prayer, vibes, good karma, whatever you want to call them ... to this little girl and her siblings that someone out there helps her, someone out there loves her enough to make this stop. To this day, I weep over that scene that plays thru my head. The reason I got into volunteering at a crisis center for abused women and children was because of this child. My only soliace is that even though I may not have been able to help this little girl, I can help others like her.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Loveis, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but there's a name for the reaction (People watching and doing nothing, as opposed to instigating a riot.). I can't think of the term. My husband knows the term, but he's sleeping. I'll find out later.

Here's an interesting video to watch.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/default.cdnx/id/11925653/displaymode/1157

Edited to add: Oops! The guy says the name of the reaction in the video!

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Ms McDucket that term is called chickenshi**edness, they are scared to get involved, i have myself seen people being beaten, in Petaluma in 1970, I got involed and started to kick the s**t out of those beating up on some guy and the police got involved and suddenly I was the one being accused. for kicking the s**t out of those kicking the s**t out of that individual. that was okay, I told those doing wrong i would be after them again after all this was over.

It seems when you come to the aid of those needing itl you are always the one in the wrong, thats they way lifle seems to work, in San Diego in 1973 helped stop three individuals robbing a credit union and we were given such a hard time about it. Makes one wonder why you would even bother to help.

• White Waves
    White Waves

This is awful!!! The article I linked here said her parents were JWs! http://www.nospank.net/n-i69.htm I hadn't realized that. Also, her mother whipped her too. And her older brothers tied her down. When the girl began to bleed, they boys turned her over, tore off her shirt and pants and the parents whipped her some more. I can't believe so much anger and the participation of the rest, especially the mother. She was sentenced today, see link - http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-beat02.html. http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-beat26.html This article tells of the son's testimony of the beating. http://mesh.medill.northwestern.edu/mnschicago/archives/2006/04/slacktwo_day_tw.html This article tells of an older sister's testimory of the beating. I am sick to my stomach. I hadn't heard the trial had taken place - where have I been! I am so glad I have JWD to keep me up to date!!! Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit