A short summary of the punishments for Adam and Eve

by truthseeker 4 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Whether you believe the Genesis account or not, the punishments meted out on Adam and Eve were enormous. Yes, they both knew that they would die in the day of their eating from the tree, but why was it necessary for Eve, and every other woman born afterwards, to have a painful pregnancy? Why did there have to be thorns and thistles? Wasn't the knowledge and experience of a slow and painful death enough?

Genesis 2:17 "but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

Genesis 3:16 "To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."

Genesis 3:17-19 "To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,' "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life. It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field. By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return."

Additional punishments:

Genesis 3:24 "After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side [e] of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life." Genesis 3:16 "Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."

To summarise:

Both Adam and Eve were to die within the current thousand year period.

Eve would have very painful pregnancies.

The ground would be cursed with thorns and thistles

They were driven (by wild animals?) out of the Garden of Eden, of which the gateway was protected by a flaming sword Adam would dominate his wife. Eve would feel a craving (anyone explain this?) for her husband.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Not to belittle anything you said there - all the points are valid and yes the punishments were harsh.

this one specifically -

Why did there have to be thorns and thistles?
    As i pulled out painful thistles from the cracks in my patio a little while ago I was thinking what was the point of that punishment - I bet Adam and Eve never had a patio to weed!

The thing is they disobeyed God once - what made him think they could be trusted to go off and be fruitful and become many and fill the earth. They might just have said no - not until you agree to less weeds man! I guess he took care of that by giving them hormones hmm?

• beavis
    beavis

This word "craving" was discussed in the late 1990's. His explanation was a sexual craving for the husband as well as a craving for wanting to be dominated by her husband.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance
    His explanation was a sexual craving for the husband as well as a craving for wanting to be dominated by her husband.

It's not all bad then, is it?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

about the craving thing;

I think saying the woman craves to be dominated by her hubby is a wrong choice of words. But, I was watching this show about men and womens sex drives and it mentioned that women's body lets out a hormone during her "climax" that affects her emotions and becuase of this, women are more likely to fall for a guy right away and have a harder time having a one night stand. Becuase this hormone makes you feel an attachment to the man. They also mentioned that this is why a woman could be with a Total Looser, with no job, who hits her, etc and still feel she loves him. Men are usually not that forgiving. Anyway, could this bio chemical reaction cause that "craving" that is mentioned in the bible?

I don't know if it is true, I am just passing along a thought I heard on the topic.

But, if its true; Ladies - do not have sex with anyone until you are sure he is not a looser!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit