When the dubs cry

by freeman 3 Replies latest jw friends

• freeman
    freeman

What is it about the organization that changes seemingly normal people into carbon copies of corporate policy, changes them down to their very soul? How is it that loyalty to this organization can cause one to turn off natural affection between parent and child, spouses, grandparents etc. What exactly, specifically, is it that they do during these five weekly meetings and/or with their printed words that has such a profound and powerful effect on people. I was in the Borg many years and still can’t figure this out, at least not fully. Maybe it’s something in the water or maybe, (most likely) it a combination of the endless repetition, the group pressure to conform, the social isolation, and the euphoria felt by one in an exclusive club. Yes, I think that is it. Truly this is mind control, truly this is a cult. Don’t you agree?

freeman

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

I think for me part of the whole problem was that the 'truth' got to be a habit, a routine, a whole way of life that just swept you along. When I look back at the years I was in the organisation I can barely recall other events that happened to me outside of the org. The whole experience seems to have merged into one long episode of meetings, field service, assemblies and conventions. I do not really recall having much of a life outside of all that.

When you have their information drummed into you day after day, week after week, year after year, you can become almost like a corpse walking around, you lose your own identity and I for one felt 'lifeless', as though all my spirit, all my zest for life had been sucked out of me.

So the whole thing just turned almost into a ritual, doing the right study on the right nights, getting to the meetings, doing what was expected, fulfilling your obligations of baptism and being on the theocratic school. I stayed in because it was a comfortable routine and gave my life some order and stability..... until I started seeing the problems and started running... and running... and running. Now I have stopped running. And I stand here defiant. I have broken free of their control and I am very proud of it.

• Ustabee
    Ustabee

What She Said!

When you have their information drummed into you day after day, week after week, year after year, you can become almost like a corpse walking around, you lose your own identity and I for one felt 'lifeless', as though all my spirit, all my zest for life had been sucked out of me.

The only thing I know for sure is: that I don't know anything for sure.
  • sleepy
    sleepy

In the org your taught not to think only to accept what you are told.
    You only hear one side of an aurgument.
    There are so many meetings, fieldservice , so called bible study etc people dont have time to question or reason.
    They think others more intelligent than them have found the answers and they don't need to look anymore just follow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit