Dang! I thought for sure he'd left the WTS!

by Confession 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confession
    Confession

Okay, so I just woke up from my Watchtower Life Coma on September 15, 2004. In July of 2005 I moved 2300 miles away to southern California in an attempt to fade. I haven't communicated with any of my former JW friends... But I thought this one old friend was sure to be safe...

Years ago when I was an elder, he used to find all sorts of stuff about JWs on the internet--and (as we were very close) he'd ask me about it. He'd been an MS for awhile, then eventually began drifting back. Stepped aside, stopped going to very many meetings--then he, his wife and two little children suddenly moved about 2000 miles away. A few years ago I'd heard that he wasn't attending meetings anymore. As I reflected on this after fading from the organization myself, I felt so CERTAIN he'd figured it all out too. Guess again...

Through much finagling, I finally got his phone number and have been calling him, leaving messages. He wouldn't call. "I know what he's thinking," I said. "He thinks I'm calling to try and muscle him back into meetings." So I left a message stating something to the effect that I probably wasn't calling for the reasons he thought I was. So he called me...

Several minutes into the conversation, this exchange occurs...

"So, Mick, I don't go to the Kingdom Hall anymore."

"Oh, that's a bummer; why not?"

"Well, do you go to the Kingdom Hall?"

"Yeah, we go all the time. I'm goin' tonight, why?"

So he asked me if I thought I ever would go back. I told him plainly that I never would. We talked awhile longer, and things kinda fizzled from there.

Son of a pup! I was so sure...

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Confession,

Sorry to hear about the letdown. Well, I suppose I would rather he go knowingly than go in a stupor. Is he in a JW-induced stupor, orr is his brain still engaged?

• Confession
    Confession

It's tough to tell. Nothing he said indicated he believed it was "the Truth." He has two kids (9 and 8.) It's possible he thinks it's best to stay for them. He did say it "wasn't the same" in his newer state as it was where we lived. He doesn't have a lot of close friends, I guess.

I'm pretty sure his level of involvement with the congregation/organization is not great.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

I had an experience similar to yours, Confession. I had been stirring things up over the higher education issue. Gossip was hot. And then this old pal of mine returns to the congregation (he was previously serving in another state). Now my pal has always had issues with how things were done in the organization, and was keenly aware of the way the brothers played politics and jostled one another for power. But our meetup wasn't as productive as I'd thought it would be. He was very very much defending the education policies and deliberately chose to ignore the double talk. He'd lost the spark, the frank sense of justice I had once admired back when I was a brainwashed zealot.

I was really disappointed. Thought I had a comrade to share my angst. Instead I found a newly brainwashed zealot. It felt very different from then on. Like we had so little in common to bother being close friends again. Well what can ya do, eh?

INQ

• inquirer
    inquirer

I get very impatient in circumstances like this! (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) SORRY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit