Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day

by XJW4EVR 3 Replies latest social current

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I have some very good Armenian friends, and this is a very solemn day for them. Nearly all the Armenian owned businesses I know of are closed today. I don't know if I should blame my secondary education (high school) or the fact that The Holocaust gets all the "press" for my lack of knowledge on this topic, but I never heard of this massacre until I was working in Glendale, CA (which has the highest population of Armenians outside of Armenia).

"Those that cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it." George Santayana

http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

• LDH
    LDH

Fresno has a very large Armenian population.

I'm familiar with this Genocide. At the least, the Armenians were able to maintain their sense of cultural identity.

Lisa

• bebu
    bebu

It is really one of the most astounding and appalling genocides within the last 100 years. And hidden from most of us.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention; I did not know that there was a day devoted to the remembrance.

bebu

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

I saw an ad in the Times promoting this very thing.Apparently the present day Turkish government wont even admit it happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit