Religious extremism strikes again (and again)

by Breakfast at Cranberrys 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Breakfast at Cranberrys
    Breakfast at Cranberrys

I was just reading the Time magazine cover story on Opus Dei, the ultra-conservative Catholic group that gets the "bad guy" treatment in the Da Vinci Code. Seems they deserve it. I thought this sidebar about a former member would be something any ex- (or current) witness could identify with:

Dubro eventually grew frustrated with the assumption that questioning the organization was the same as questioning God's will and that leaving Opus would result in eternal damnation. He says he felt constantly pressured to recruit new members. He began to speak openly about his grievances and within a couple of years was asked to move out of the center. He left the group in 1987. "There is no ability to complain," he says. "It's absolute control, absolute obedience."

Sidebar: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1184045,00.html

Main Story (sorry, you'll have to be subscriber for the main story, but some of the sidebars are free): http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1184078,00.html

I have a perverse need to know rational people get completely duped by religious extremism. Makes me feel a bit less stoopid.

• anewme
    anewme

How rational people get completely duped by religion is pretty much the same way people get conned probably.
    We are all hard wired to have needs and a strong desire to fill those needs.
    Religion claims to have the answers to the questions we have regarding our purpose.
    It claims to have the way the truth and the life we seek.

It is natural that people gravitate towards one or another religious product out there claiming to be the one and only to fill their need.

It is only when one lets go of the need for answers and lives at peace with the unexplainable around us that one can be free of religious entrapment.

Sort of like growing your own food to be free of grocery high prices and to be certain your food is pure and fresh from the earth.

Sorry Im rambling.....I am so burnt out on religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit