Brain teaser

by osmosis 2 Replies latest jw friends

• osmosis
    osmosis

Here is a question that actually makes my JW aunt feel uncomfortable.. er, rather, she admits that this question makes her uncomfortable.

A very prevalent argument for the existence of god is the apparent complexity of the known universe. This complexity, believers say, is proof positive that the universe was created. They ask, where did we come from? We couldn't just appear out of nowhere, the big bang can't actually explain things. Things can't spontaneously increase in complexity, everything has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere has to be at least as complex as the known universe.

I say, then, if "everything has to come from somewhere", where did god come from? In arguing that angle, you have implicitly presupposed a "creator of creators" and also a "creator of creator of creators" and so on, each preexisting and more complex than the one after it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    We couldn't just appear out of nowhere, the big bang can't actually explain things.

Actually, it provides a pretty good model of it (at least from my own meagre understanding of it). The initial inflation of spacetime occurred at the quantum level, and it is well-known in quantum mechanics that singularities and subparticles pass in and out of existence; this is well documented. Moreover, the universe would have started out with nearly equal amounts of matter and antimatter and both cancel each other out....meaning that the universe began as nothing (e.g. as a bubble of true vacuum). It is only through inflation that the early symmetry gave way to the present preponderance of matter over antimatter, and collisions between early particles and antiparticles occurred through an assymetric distribution of matter in the expanding universe (which began with quantum fluctuations). What is unknown is how dark matter (hypothesized to exist due to gravitational effects) figures into all of this.

• Gill
    Gill

My thoughts exactly, Leolaia!

I think I need to go and have a lie down now!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit