Regarding JW's using My Space accounts...

by Riverwatcher 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Riverwatcher
    Riverwatcher

I haven't been around in awhile, so apologies if this topic has been brought up recently.

My daughter (not a jw) had an interesting discussion today with her brother (who is a jw). She was on the computer and was confused because her sister in laws My Space account was no longer there. She goes to check her brothers account; it too is gone. Later in the day, she calls him just to yak (they're still very close, thankfully), and asks him why his and his wifes My Space is gone. "Oh, we just sort of....um...decided we didn't want them up anymore". Now, this struck me as very odd, because for months now, using My Space has been one of the main ways they keep in touch with each other. They post messages, pictures, etc.

So, have the powers that be started cracking down on this sort of thing? I think I recall reading that JW's don't think too highly of the internet, but sheesh...whats the harm in family keeping in touch through it? And, if it's so evil, why is there an official JW site?

Thoughts, anyone? And again...sorry if I'm being redundant with this topic.

Thanks.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Its all cool Riverwatcher...

In some American congregations the elders have been cracking down on people having myspace accounts. Occasionally in the JW groups on My Space a witness will post saying that their elders & CO have warned them of the dangers and they are cancelling the account and telling everyone else in the group that they should do similar.

• Riverwatcher
    Riverwatcher

Yeah, I kind of figured it was something like that.

Thanks!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

JWs generally believe the internet is Eeeeeeevil and infested with devils, demons and worst of all *** GASP *** Apostates!

The WTS is all about information control and sense they cannot control the information available on the internet they are "discouraging" the use of the internet. They will not out right forbid the use, but the JWs in general get the "wink and nudge" message that they are not supposed to use the internet for much of anything.

• tan
    tan

At our recent circuit assembly the elder mentioned that our children should not be using __ space.com. (He wouldn't say the whole name). Most of the parents didn't even know what it was....the kids were looking at each other and snickering.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I can understand the concern over my space accounts if you have young teenagers .The problem exists that kids give out way to much information about themselves along with pictures, and I'm sure sicko's just love it. As a parent myself I have always checked my sons account to keep up with who he is talking to and such (and he is 18 now ). Mostly it is just a way kids keep in touch with each other .Like everything else in this life be smart , careful , and on top of it . What we do not need is paranoia the WTBS likes to spew forth to instill fear and take over their followers conscience and choice on things.

• aniron
    aniron

Now this explains something.

Recently I've had invites from people to join them on My Space.

Two of the names are the same as a couple of JW's I knew.

So now after reading these posts above, I'm wondering if its the same thing.

Maybe I should join under another name and see whathappens?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit