2 Thess 1:9 (presence or not?)

by yaddayadda 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda
    Hi, 2 Thessalonians 1:9 In the New World Translation reads:

"These very ones will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction from before the Lord and from the glory of his strength."

HOWEVER, many other bible translations render it slightly differently by including the word 'presence' (see below). My question is, can anyone confirm whether the original Greek for this scripture includes the word 'parousia'? I don't have a Greek Interlinear handy. If 'parousia' is indeed there then it would contradict the Society's 1914 'parousia' teaching because 2 Thessalonians chp 1 is quite obviously talking about a future event.

2 Thessalonians 1:9
    New International Version

9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power.

New American Standard Version

9 These will pay the penalty of ( A ) eternal destruction, ( B ) away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Amplified Bible

9 Such people will pay the penalty and suffer the punishment of everlasting ruin (destruction and perdition) and eternal exclusion and banishment from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

English Standard Version

9 They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from [ a ] the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might,

Contemporary English Version

9 Their punishment will be eternal destruction, and they will be kept far from the presence of our Lord and his glorious strength.

New King James Version

9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

No. The expression is apo prosópou tou kuriou "from the face of the Lord".

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Yadda,

Presence, face, makes little difference as this meeting will be up front and directed at the person in either case. Such an event is prophetic and future as you surmise.

:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, 8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

This information can be compared with the sheep and goats that will be separated when our Lord returns as detailed in Matt. 25. But here we learn a little more about who such goats will be. A little further down the text we also learn: 2: 3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. 5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

So while this may not include all the goats that will be separated at that time, at least it reveals those sinful ones living or dead that fit this description, those that claim to be directing the faith but really are abusing it.

Joseph

• M.J.
    M.J.

just a tip. I usually look under http://www.blueletterbible.org

Here's what it says:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit