Is acknowledging that you don't know something the first step to knowing?

by DavidChristopher 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

I spend all day everyday asking Alldata questions about different cars. If I wanted to put on a show that I aready knew everything, would I want to ask Alldata in front of everyone? What kind of mechanic would I be?

• minimus
    minimus

In answer to your question: I dunno know.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

In answer to the topic question - no it isn't necessarily. It is quite possible to admit you don't know something but refuse to learn or make any attempt to know. All you are admitting is ignorance.

if this is the case, you effectively answer you example scenario - you'd just be pretending to know everything about cars when really you don't, if you spent all the time (as opposed to odd occasions) asking Alldata (whoever they are!) everything, you wouldn't be a qualified mechanic at all. it's learning and practice that qualifies you.

As an example from my own situation, I can read all the books I want to obtain my degree, but it doesn't mean that I've learnt everything. That will only be proven by putting it into practice.

So what's this question really about anyway

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    Is acknowledging that you don't know something the first step to knowing?

Yes, if you then go and search all the possible answers and then pick the one that is best.

previous poster are you really from easter island sorry to go off track.

• carla
    carla

The first step to knowledge is to know we are ignorant. Cecil

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    are you really from easter island sorry to go off track.

Hi moomanchu. No, I'm just entertaining the spirit of the season! I'll be 'back in the UK' soon

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

If you are lost in a strange city, do you acknowledge you are lost, and ask for directions to the highway? Or do you be arrogant, and hope to get lucky, taking a chance of ending up in the projects?

Who's car would you rather be a passenger in?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit