Told Mom it would be immoral to go tonight

by La Capra 6 Replies latest jw friends

• La Capra
    La Capra

Yeah, I did.

I called her this afternoon, after I got home from work (to check on my Dad, and, well, you know...). It turns out she picked up the nasty flu: Fever, chills, scratchy throat, snot everywhere, sensitive eyes, she sounds like Grover.

I gave her all the advice she usually gives me, including her favorite (and one that often kept me home from meetings in my youth), "Stay out of the night air for a few weeks..."

To which she responded, "but I have to go out tonight." (And then I remembered...well, I already knew, she knew I knew...It's a game we play.)

And I said she could kill someone. "Mom, every frail, feeble old person is going to be there, you could give them the flu and they could die from it. Thousands of elderly people die from the flu every year. You cannot go." Then I reminded her of the story of someone we know who went to visit his elderly father while he had the flu. Infected his dad and it killed the dad...

"But it's the memorial..." She says, with this air of awe (and shock, at the notion that she could miss it...and that missing it would be the right thing to do).

"But you know you have a fever and are infectious. If you go, it would be immoral and unethical..."

Then I got my dad on the phone again and suggested to him that he have a chat with her too. He agreed about the whole thing and said he would talk with her.

Ah, man, if this apostate daughter could keep her mom from going to just one memorial....

Hag semeach. (I'm off sedering myself...)

Shoshana

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

LOL! Fingers crossed for you...

• carla
    carla

fingers crossed for you to! and your right it would be immoral as well as just plain rude.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That is a rational argument why go there and pass on the flu? She has already been to enough memorials.

• Brigid
    Brigid

Shoshannah,

Chag Semeach! So, another Pesach celebrant in our midst....I'm here shvitzing over the preliminaries myself (not my favorite holiday but it means a lot to my hubby's family and I'm the only girl left to do it).

Are you Jewish? Married to a nice Jewish boy? I'm married to a not so nice Jewish boy myself

Well, don't work too hard--enjoy the fruit of the vine (it's the best part of the dinner)

When do we eat already???

Yom Tov!

~Brigid

• Mulan
    Mulan

I would call one of her elders and have them talk to her. No one wants a sick person at the memorial, and everyone would understand illness.

Geez! Why are they so superstitious about this night? My mother is 93, and even she has more sense than that. She is frail and very old, so listens to the memorial over the phone link. She knows she doesn't partake and doesn't need to actually be present.

• La Capra
    La Capra

Yeah, Mulan-I thought of that. But it would mean talking to an elder (there's a reason I left).

And besides, they wouldn't tell her not to go anyway. She's probably resposnsible for delivering three or four of the frail feebles herself. They wouldn't want to lose those numbers from their tally. (I know that sounds bad, but it's true. If anyone needs somebody to go 25 miles out of everybody's way, it's my mom they call).

Shoshana (the apostate daughter of a doormat)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit