JW's and "Nick names"

by JH 6 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I knew a brother who had a nick name, and when he became a Witness, he didn't want to be called by his nickname anymore....He was brother x from now on. Or just use his real name.

Imagine going to your hall, and calling someone by his nickname instead.

I'm sure the eldrers would want to talk to you at the end of the meeting.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

What was his nickname? And why didn't he want to be called it anymore? Was it derogatory or offensive in some way?

• JH
    JH

It was a french nick name: "Arnaque" or "ti-naq" as some called him, which means in english to swindle or rip somebody off...

I guess now that he is a good news preacher, he doesn't want to be know as someone who would rip you off.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

We had nicknames for everyone. I was always calling people by their nickname by mistake in conversation. I covered it up by saying I hadn't heard what they said properly and that I was talking about something else. Trouble was I only knew a lot of these people by their nicknames and didn't even know what they were called.
    Some of the nicks we had were.

Sugar Daddy - he was married but had a young fancy woman in the hall
    Scrubhead
    Brass faced lass - cheeky sister
    Humperdink - he looked like Engelbert!
    Carrot top - she had ginger hair (original eh)
    Phillips - he had a head like a phillips light bulb
    Fat egg head - a brother whose name sounded similar but my brother misheard it when he was about 2 and used to shout it when the guy got on the platform
    Certainly stanley - a guy who started every sentence with the word certainly. I don't think his name was even stanley
    Dillan - a brother who I thought looked like a hippy so I called him a hippy name. Ironically when he had a kid he called it Dillan!
    Shulamite maiden - a lass who played this part on a drama and was really up herself
    Olly Currant Cake - Not even sure where this came from or what his real name was
    Puffy Peter - A very effeminate bro
    Tarzan - an elderly bro who had tiger stripe chair covers in his car
    Poison dwarf - a short sister who had all the gossip (Dallas must have been popular at the time)
    Isaiah - a bro who had been in an accident and his eyes were kind of odd and uneven
    Fuq yoo - a chinese sister with a similar name

erm, yeah anyway, virtually everybody had a nick. It's what kept me sane.

• cheen
    cheen

Once was a canadian "sister" in the cong with a name of Trudeau, who was so hot! wo wo wo!...we would call her "sister Truehoe"

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I don't remember hearing anyone being given nicknames in the congregation. It was always the same 'Sister Mary Smith' or 'Brother Bob Jones'. Never just Mary or Bob. Always the title + first name + surname.

It's something I find myself doing still. Referring to people by their first & last names. My boyfriend finds it quite weird.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Everybody in our hall had nicknames, at least w/ my friends and family and I -

Bro. Stump the dummy, because he would always ask the most obscure questions so he could prove to be smarter then everyone else

The Box - this kid's head was shapped like a box and he was as dumb as a box of rocks

Tweedel Dee and Tweedel Dum - adult twins who were HUGE and they dressed alike. I know it is mean, but it is funny, my father use to say they went to their tent maker to get their new threads.

Shrimp - the boys came up with that name because there was a girl that they said "was all you can eat" I know disgusting but I grew up with boys, what can I say, they were gross

JJ and Dyno Mite - twins that looked just like JJ Walker from Good times

Bro. Raisnettes - the brother who use to have balls but they shrunk over time in the truth

Eeor - The really over the top brother that thinks everyone is after him

Dragon Lady - the sister who breathes fire all the time

Tanya - (after patty hearst) The sister who barfs back everything the WTBTS says without blinking or moving her lips

Yikes - this list can go on and on. That was how we were able to get away with talking about people, we just spoke in code.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit