The 'Line' and your Freedom of Expression

by lisaBObeesa 7 Replies latest jw friends

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Freedom of speech is a good thing. But ANY good thing can turn into a bad thing when it is taken to extremes.

Personal attacks do not need to be ‘protected.’ The board will not become a police state if posts that contain personal attacks, such as calling a person an asshole, are deleted.

This issue is not black and white. We do not have to choose between Free Speech and being controlled by crazed moderators on power trips. There are other options. Having a ‘line’ that defines what is not allowed and what is not, is not, in and of its self, a bad thing.

Someone said that things work well now, as these things ‘get hashed out’ on our own. I disagree. Here is what happens: First someone makes a new post with an offensive personal attack on someone in it calling them an asshole, starting off what will become a 9 page thread. Then some says, “Hey, that was over the line!” Then someone else says, “Can’t you take a joke?” The posts continue in this way for hours and hours and then days and days. All the while, the disgusting, pointless post is on the first page while we ‘hash it out.’ But that is not the worst of it. Shortly after the personal attack thread gets started, other, spin off threads start going. Soon, the front page has nothing at all to do with exJWs, JWs, helping people who are hurting….its all about the famous personal attack and what should be done about it, how everyone feels about it,…blah blah blah. It ruins the board, and it hashes nothing out. Nothing is solved. Nobody is happy with the outcome.

We should stop protecting the abusers. These people make others feel it is unsafe to speak here. They drive away the best posters. They diminish other people’s freedom here as they hold the board hostage. They show lack or respect for others. They abuse the very free speech that we all hold so dear, and they laugh while they are doing it.

Are we so afraid of a ‘line’ that we will tolerate and defend hate speech such is on the board right now?

Thank you for reading this.
    --LisaBobeesa

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

lisaBObeesa,

I agree that some use profanity and other things to get their point across but it's hard to draw the line as to what gets censured.

For the most part I think things get worked out and if some one you know post offensive then don't read it and don't respond if it bothers you.

But when we censur where will we stop, when some says sommething we don't like.

I think the board will censur itself in away by are not responding to posters who are vulgar or abusive.

I'll defend your right to say it, but it doesn't mean I beleive it.

• larc
    larc

Lisa,

Thank you for an excellant statement of the situation. Freedom of speech does not permit some one to yell fire in a crowded theatre and cause panic and death. Freedom of speech should not allow someone to talk about sex acts in front of children. Freedom of speech should not allow people on the forum to defame others to the horror of the lurkers who come here for comfort and solace. The conduct of some here is a disgrace to what should be a noble cause.

Lisa, again, thank you for your noble words.

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

Lisa,

Well said my friend.

Cowboy

"I know there's a balance,I see it when I swing past"-John Mellencamp

• gsark
    gsark

<The conduct of some here is a disgrace to what should be a noble cause.>

Does it seem as if these same people have done this soemwhere else?

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Yeah, the conduct of some people does suck; posting their mad twaddle here when they should be talking to their therapist.

I do mean Shelby; I've said in other posts that she's actually, in her way, quite charming, but that doesn't mean that she isn't a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Is it okay to say that? Or do I have to pretend that she's normal?

I am amazed that in a country that supposedly prides itself on the freedom of speech, the freedom of speech is so restricted.

In England, where I come from originally, there is a lot more freedom. It means public figures have a hell of a time. It's more or less fair comment for a comedian to say 'Tony Blair is a complete fucking moron'.

Can you imagine that on Jay Leno?

Nope. In England you can call the Royal Family a buch of inbred half-wits on TV, no problem.

Can you call the Bush family that on TV? Don't think so.

In America, finding someone who GETS sarcasm, parody or irony is rare. This might seem like a generalisation, but it's not just my experience knowing a few dozen American's whilst at University, or travelling in the 'States. It's a common comment from people who've had dealings with Americans.

The we have linguistic differences. I work for a large Asian computer company operating in the Netherlands. The work force are a third Dutch, a third Taiwanese, and a third mixed up between every country you can think of. English is the common language. Swear words that would be unacceptable in an English office environment are 'loan words' and are used with shocking freeness (and I have a mouth like a sewer at times, and am pretty broad-minded). Why are they used like that? Because they LOSE THEIR POWER to a non-native speaker.

Example; the Dutch for 'god damn it' is considered a worse swear word than 'fuck'.

Put all this together. We have a mostly American contingent saying a Norweigan is bad because of the way he 'speaks', because of what he says.

Obviously you are allowed your opinion, as are the opposing view and those who think we should shut the f--- up and talk about something marginally more interesting, like photosynthesis.

But think of the lenses you are viewing the situatiuon through; the lens of culture, the lens of language, for some, even the lens of religious propriety.

Are your values and opinions completely relevant to the person you are critising? What gives YOU the moral upperhand?

larc; I like your posts, probably MORE than Kent's, so don't try to accuse me of bias, this is my opinion. Comparing insulting a person to causing a stampede in a movie theatre is lame. Comparing insulting a person to perverting the morals of a minor is lame. Suggesting we put up a 'front' for the lurkers is lame; what next, love bombing?

lisa; I like your posts too; one thread you started was very cool indeed, so likewise, this isn't me sayinf 'Kent rules you suck'. I say this not to suck up, but to make you take what I say seriously and not as a YAY KENT!!

You say "We should stop protecting the abusers", but there is a difference between someone making an unprovoked attack on an innocent party (an abuser) and someone lampooning a known nut job and liar. That's not abusing, that's fair comment. She put herself forward for it by being here and by her actions.

You say "These people make others feel it is unsafe to speak here", but again, I disagree. They give a clear message that lies and hypocracy will be made manifest. Isn't that a good thing?.

You say "They drive away the best posters". Well, sometimes a good poster is lost, but if they value freedom of speech below their own sensitivity... their posts might be good, but they have a way to come in personal development, IMHO.
    You say "They diminish other people’s freedom here as they hold the board hostage", whereas I would suggest that by making people wonder if they are allowed to say something those in support of censorship are the ones holding the board hostage, saying 'OUR standards, not yours, OURS are RIGHT'.

You say "They show lack or respect for others", but we are talking, I believe, about a known liar and la-la lady being lampooned, so how much respect was SHE showing? There's a few Biblical scriptures I still like, and reaping what you sow is one of them.

You say "They abuse the very free speech that we all hold so dear, and they laugh while they are doing it" whereas I would say they USE that freedom of speech we all hold so dear and laugh while they are doing it.

• larc
    larc

Adaddon,

So, protecting your children is lame. Protecting your wife from insults is lame. I feel sorry for you.

It is hip and cool in this time, to not protect anyone from anything. So be it for you. That is not my choice.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

larc; oh god, it's the 'Lady Chattersly's Lover' trial all over again, where the prosecuting barristar asked if 'any decent man would let their wife or servants read this book'!!

If your wife has been insulted, you have every right to defend her.

If she is offended by rude words on the Internet, and you want to 'protect her' well, maybe it's time to enter the 21st Century where women are not regarded as weak inferior creatures who need a man to look after them. Alternately, teach her how to use the 'BACK' button. God! What an incredible attitude!

If your kids are insulted, then you have every right to defend them.

If they are too young to hear or see rude words, what are they doing surfing the net without protection or supervision?? They would have to be significantly under ten to not have heard them. If you think otherwise, hang around in a schhol playground for a while.

As neither your wife (unless Shelby is your wife) or children have been insulted (did you mean offended?), I can't see what relevance that has to the matter in hand ANYWAY.

Please do not change the scope of the arguement. I am talking about whether Kent was wrong to attack Shelby the way he did, and whether this board needs censorship. I say whether he was right or not (i.e. whether you agree with him or not) is irrelevant but he most certainly has a right and that, no, this board doesn't need censorship.

The fact you distort what I say ("It is hip and cool in this time, to not protect anyone from anything. So be it for you.") does not increase the strength (or lack of) your arguement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit