Which recent study was it that explained how Jehovah doesn´t just forgive?

by MinisterAmos 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I'm trying to place the scriptural basis and WT article that explains that Jehovah doesn't just forgive transgressions, minor and major, but he actually 'wipes clean' the slate and forgets they ever happened which is the real essence or forgiveness. (provided the person is repentant of course) I know we studied this in the past few months but can't find it.

I'm trying to contrast this with WT policy of recording transgressions and keeping records, allegedly written and most certainly mental, of minor offenses well past the moment of claiming that the offendor is 'forgiven.'

The practice is contrary to what the WT has claimed in print that we should strive for.

I'd like to ask this question at my next 'Bible Study'

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I couldn't find anything written that says Jehovah actually "forgets" the sin. I do not think this will help you, but it is the current understanding from the 2004 cd-rom.

w97 12/1 pp. 12-13 Jehovah, a God "Ready to Forgive" ***

"Their

Sin I Shall Remember No More"

Through the prophet Jeremiah, Jehovah promised regarding those in the new covenant: "I shall forgive their error, and their sin I shall remember no more." (Jeremiah 31:34) Does this mean that when Jehovah forgives he is unable to recall sins anymore? That could hardly be the case. The Bible tells us of the sins of many individuals whom Jehovah forgave, including David. (2 Samuel 11:1-17; 12:1-13) Jehovah obviously is still aware of the errors they committed, and so should we be. The record of their sins, as well as that of their repentance and forgiveness by God, has been preserved for our benefit. (Romans 15:4) What, then, does the Bible mean when it says that Jehovah does not "remember" the sins of those whom he forgives?

The Hebrew verb rendered "I shall remember" implies more than simply to recall the past. According to the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, it includes "the additional implication of taking appropriate action." So in this sense, to "remember" sin involves taking action against sinners. When the prophet Hosea said concerning wayward Israelites, "He [Jehovah] will remember their error," the prophet meant that Jehovah would take action against them for their lack of repentance. Thus, the rest of the verse adds: "He will give attention to their sins." (Hosea 9:9) On the other hand, when Jehovah says, "Their sin I shall remember no more," he is assuring us that once he forgives a repentant sinner, he will not act against him for those sins at some future time. (Ezekiel 18:21, 22) He thus forgets in the sense that he does not bring our sins up again and again in order to accuse or punish us over and over. Jehovah thereby sets a splendid example for us to imitate in our dealings with others. When disagreements arise, it is best not to dredge up past offenses that you previously agreed to forgive.

What

About the Consequences?
  • Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

The Bible sure does not agree with the Watchtower, like that is a surprise.

Matthew 6:14 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.WEB

Mt 9:6
    But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins..."WEB

Mark 3:28-29 Most assuredly I tell you, all of the children of men's sins will be forgiven them, including their blasphemies with which they may blaspheme; but whoever may blaspheme against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"WEB

Psalms 32:1 <<By David. A contemplative psalm.>> Blessed is he whose disobedience is forgiven, Whose sin is covered. WEB

Ephesians 4:32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God also in Christ forgave you.

1 John 2:12 I write to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.WEB

Psalms 103:12-13 As far as the east is from the west, So far has he removed our transgressions from us. Like a father has compassion on his children, So Yahweh has compassion on those who fear him.WEB (World English Bible)

The Bible says that those who remember your sin are agents of the enemy.

2 Corinthians 2:10-11 Now I also forgive whomever you forgive anything. For if indeed I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven that one for your sakes in the presence of Christ, that no advantage may be gained over us by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his schemes.

Verse 11. Lest Satan. The devil. The name Satan denotes an adversary, an accuser, an enemy. It is the usual proper name which is given to the devil, the great adversary of God and man. Barnes

Thus the WTBTS is an agent of Satan when they keep records of sins.

• blondie
    blondie

I can't access my topics right now. I will try and check what recent WT study covered that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit