Field Service

by XBEHERE 9 Replies latest jw friends

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Question for those of you still going out: Do you actually still pretend to preach to people? Pretend interest in the latest mags so they will take them? For me its easy since territory is so apathetic anyway I just dont bother overcoming any of their "conversation stoppers" My calls I am slowly, methodically telling them I wont be coming around anymore. What do you do?

• opr83
    opr83

If you are still "going out" in the ministry and have the opportunity to address people interesting in scripture, then you are doing them a disservice by not engaging them in a discussion of what the scriptures actually teach. Forget about the WT, A, or any other publication. This may be your last opportunity to tell them "No matter what, the scriptures teach the Truth. Always look to that source first before going beyond it." There is no need to critize or degrade the message(s) you have delivered before. Just keep pointing them to their own bible. If we really believe that God's Holy Spirit directs right-hearted individuals to His Truth, then the only avenue is their prayers and their reading of scripture. Everything else is specious.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

opr83 that is one take on it. I do happen to agree to an extent as right now I still tend to believe in a christian way of living.

• blondie
    blondie

Towards the end, I went by myself (easy when it was an odd number). Used only my Bible and picked a topic I thought the average person might find interesting. I was fairly good talking to people. Never kept rv records though or not at homes...just said everyone was home.

But then I discovered telephone witnessing...by myself. (That routine with one phone and a group of 10 with one talking and the others eating and talking was a joke.)

I would call a number that where no one ever answered. Then I would do chores around the house, then call that same number about 3 hours later.

I also counted my time on JWD.

Blondie

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I hear ya XBEHERE. Around here all you have to say is "Bible" and people tell you to leave, and that's good enough for me.
    The JWs here are so lazy that none of them ever want to do territory anyway. My wife finds service pointless and a waste of time so we just don't go out much anyway, which is fine by me.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I always found it interesting that we would work the same old territority where almost always no one was home. The elders tried to skate out for a "bible study" that could be done on any day, as I had been on that study and the individual studying said any day was fine if we wanted to change it. So I did once told the elder i took over the study for during his absence and he about had kittens when he realized he would have to go out in service like the rest of us. He quickly reestablished the old study schedule for him and another lazy elder. They were both named John reminds me of a saying Juan tamad (lazy john) and it was very fiting they almost never went out in field service with the book study attendees.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Blondie I used to do just what you did till I couldn't take it no more. As far as working the same territory over and over again. How many of you heard of the congo in new york that had one apartment bldg as their turf and they worked it everyday?

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

When I was reaching the end of my rope, field service and singing kingdom song were the two things I just could not do without feeling sick inside. FS was tough to get out of, but we hardly ever went the last few months and we did actually meet with the group once and say we had our own plans and then took the kids to Dunkin' donuts. HA!

Maybe just turn the 10 hours in a month and if wifey or elders ever question just say it's your business. Maybe faking hours will open up a conversation with her.

I feel for you. FS is the worst thing in the world when you know what you know.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Freedomlover I always put in at least 10 hrs a month.. Have been for the past oh 3 yrs or so. Funny thing is, when I used to be the secretary I would always ask my wife how much time she had and she would say "how much did you have, then just put 2 or 3 less than that for me"

The potential is there for her to stop being a witness but she still believes the doctrines, paradise earth, resurrection, etc. I wonder if there are many witnesses like her in the congregations. True believers but not true doers.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

wow, I can't believe she says that! you know, she may be more willing to hear you out than you realize.

There were things that always bothered me, but man I would have never admitted even to hubby that I fudged on my hours.

IMO - if you start presenting things to her don't bombard her with lots of stuff. Make it seem like you are just learning these things and you are coming to her for her opinion....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit