Can you help me write an article..?

by merfi 4 Replies latest watchtower medical

• merfi
    merfi

I gave blood yesterday. For the first time EVER. It's "newsworthy" in more ways than just one. I'm tellin ya, it was the most amazing thing in the world to do. The feelings I had were somewhat two- or three-fold (stop singing that stupid kingdumb melody in your head, I just did LOL). I felt free -- free to do what I wanted, free to do the right thing by donating. I felt somewhat defiant -- "take THAT up your ass, WTBTS" but mostly I just felt good -- somewhere, someone's life might be saved by what I did yesterday. I work in a hospital and have seen blood put to use to bring color to someone's granny's cheeks... to bring a new mom back to consciousness after nearly bleeding out from childbirth, so that she can hold her baby... to give a young man with cancer a higher count so that he can receive chemo and fight...

My town is a population of about 12K and the KH has around 35 publishers (about 50 on the Spanish side). I'd love to have my experience published by the local newspaper. Something along the lines of promoting donating blood to save lives, but also getting in there something about the WTS views on transfusions having been tweeked thru the years, and how it is barely hanging by a thread -- a thread certainly not strong enough to risk my or my children's lives on. Maybe in some ways it's another defiant thing... but it's also turning into a 'cause' of mine, it seems.

I'll probably start writing something up during the day, but if anyone has some info and things to include, throw it my way, bring it on.

~merfi, of the A Positive donor class

• jstalin
    jstalin

You should call up your local paper and see if they have a religion reporter. That sounds like a good human interest story.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

I am writing this article as if I were in your shoes. Cut and paste it below the line if you want to use it. Feel free to change it or toss it in the junk yard if it is no-good! Cheers! ****************************************************************************************************** I gave blood yesterday for the first time EVER. It's "newsworthy" in my opinion in more ways than just one. I'm telling you, it was the most amazing thing in the world to do. The feelings I had were somewhat two-or-three-fold. I felt free -- free to do what I wanted and free to do the right thing by donating. I felt somewhat defiant but mostly I just felt good because somewhere, someone's life might be saved by what I did yesterday. I work in a hospital and have seen blood put to use to bring color to someone's granny's cheeks, or bring a new mom back to consciousness after nearly bleeding out from childbirth, so that she can hold her baby. To be able to give blood and give a young man with cancer a higher count, so that he can receive chemotherapy and fight is a wonderful feeling. I use the word "defiant" because at one time in my life, I did not have the freedom of giving blood. Doctrines taught to me by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, (Jehovah's Witnesses) made the privilege of giving blood an offense worthy of excommunication. Yet, at one time the Watchtower through its "Golden Age magazine spoke favorably of blood transfusions. Please consider these quotes from Watchtower literature. Blood Transfusions Spoken of Favorably

God has never published a decree which forbids employing medicine, injections and blood transfusions. It is a human invention like the Pharisee's disregard for mercy and grace. To serve Jehovah with all the mind does not mean to put our intelligence in a box. Principally because there is a human life at stake. The life being of great value is holy to Jehovah.
    - Consolation 09/1945 p. 29 (Dutch ed.) - Emphasis added.

The Mending of a heart

In New York city a house wife in moving a boarder's things accidentally shot herself through the heart with his revolver. She was rushed to a hospital, her left breast was cut around, four ribs were cut away, the heart was lifted out, three stitches were taken, one of the attending physicians in the great emergency gave a quart of his blood for transfusion, and today the woman lives and smiles gaily over what happened to her in the busiest 23 minutes of her life.
    - Consolation 12/25/1940 p. 19 ( http://www.ajwrb.org/watchtower/data1.shtml )

However, down through the years of one death after another the Watchtower Bible And Tract Society, has changed its policies concerning giving blood or accepting blood whether whole, part or fraction for a transfusion. Thousands of people including many children have perished and still today Jehovah's Witnesses fear expulsion if found out that they received a needed blood transfusion.

What many people do not understand is why certain ones in the congregations are treated differently concerning blood transfusions. Even one of the "elite" Jehovah's Witnesses known as one of the 144,000 voluntarily received a blood transfusion and nothing was done to remove her from the congregation or shun her from partaking of the Memorial Emblems!

Here are some quotes from the 1958 Watchtower, August 1st, page 478

Questions From Readers

One of Jehovah’s witnesses who claims to be of the anointed remnant recently went to the hospital and took a blood transfusion, voluntarily. Should she be allowed to partake of the emblems of bread and wine at Memorial time?—R. J., United States.

We, of course, regret with you that this sister who professes to be one of the anointed remnant took a blood transfusion voluntarily during her stay in the hospital. We believe that she did the wrong thing contrary to the will of God.

The Watchtower article also said, quote:

The only thing that can be done in the cases of individuals like this is to view them as immature and therefore not capable of taking on certain responsibilities, hence refusing to make certain assignments of service to such ones.

As an anointed member of Christ’s body she is under orders and command by Christ Jesus to partake. Whether she is unfaithful as to what she professes to be by virtue of taking the emblems of the Lord’s Evening Meal is something for Jehovah God to determine himself. unquote.

If the judgement that Jehovah's Witnesses faced by accepting a blood transfusion or giving blood for a transfusion was only being judged as immature, then there would certainly be thousands of more Jehovah's Witness members giving blood or receiving a transfusion if needed. The Watchtower letter below shows that if a person receives a blood transfusion and does not "repent" for this action, then they have, by their actions, removed themselves from the congregation. So, in-other-words, a Jehovah's Witness has judged, prosecuted, and condemned him or herself for violating Watchtower blood policies.

(Watchtower letter here: http://www.ajwrb.org/basics/wtletter6-16-00.jpg This is why I feel so free and happy because I no longer will allow the Watchtower or any other organization to bind my mind, heart, or conscience as to doing something I personally know is right! It has been discussed that many Jehovah's Witnesses who are in need of a blood transfusion leave to another city to receive it, so that other members of their congregation will not ease-drop or spy on them and report the news back to congregation elders. But I don't have to worry about those issues anymore, because I am free of the cult and free to do what is right in God's eyes as well as my own. After all, what greater thing could I do than to give someone else the gift of life. Isn't that what Jesus has done for all of us? Merfi

• merfi
    merfi

You..... ROCK!!

I'm at work today so didn't get as much down-time to work on this as I thought I would (busy savin' lives and all ) I'll email this to myself and do some rewording on it. Not much, though as you pretty much took the words right from my heart and mind.

Thanks for your help!

~merfi

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Wow - great thread ..

I can only speak through my knowledge of publishing short pieces in the small local papers of the Bega Valley (population circa 40,000) If your article is for a local newspaper it's important that it concentrate on the uplifting personal experience you've enjoyed. If it looks too much like preaching or too negative it's unlikely to make it past the editor.

I'd recommend keeping it simple by picking a strong point and hitting it short and hard rather than trying to say too much (eyes glaze easily and minds drift at the sight of too much text).

congratrulations and good luck merfi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit