I still like the old stuff!

by Frenchy 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I've been reading SF since grade school. I love the old masters like Heinlein, Norton, Asimov, Wells, Clarke. I must admit that the little that I have read of the new stuff is mostly incomprehensible to me. (sigh!) Time has passed me by, I guess.

How many of you out there are SF fans?

• Caliban
    Caliban

Me !
    I love Asimov books (as you can probably tell by my nickname). Also the Dune books - I've just started reading those again.

• Seven
    Seven

Greetings fellow fans of sci-fi!

I too love R.Heinlein & Asimov. My favorites of R.H. are "Stranger in a Strange Land," and "Farmer in the Sky." I've been trying to locate a copy of "Orphans of the Sky" but I guess it's out of print.

I don't believe time has passed you by Frenchy, much of the new stuff just flat out lacks imagination. As Yogi would say: "DEJA VU all over again."

7of9

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Caliban, yes, that sounds vaguely familiar (it's been a long time since I've read SF) Who was that character? One of Asimov's robot characters?

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Okay, so how many of you saw "Mission to Mars" and what did you think about it? Honest.

I thought it was more on the line of the old style SF. I loved it.

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

Hey that's cool! I used to read much SF before becoming a JW and than had no time anymore for it because of ... you know Matthew 6:33 "putting kingdom first". But now i started again and the the first book was the one of Orwell 1984 - Big Brother is watching you. Also the other mentioned are well known. Does someone also read Stanislaw Lem? That's my favorite writer.

• Simon
    Simon

Caliban ?! ... haven't heard from him in quite a while !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit