Unable to adopt - blood issue

by lighthouse1956 7 Replies latest jw friends

• lighthouse1956
    lighthouse1956

About 15 years ago we tried adopting, but were discouraged by state of Louisiana because we were JWs at the time. They said they would turn us down because of JW blood policy.

Now we are in our early 50's,and feel time as passed us by on this.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Well, I wouldn't say time has passed you by.

Have you thought about foster care? I know a woman who is involved with that and she tries so hard to encourage other people to do so. There are many really good kids out there who are a bit older that others don't want to adopt because they are older children rather then babies.

Perhaps you could do a little research and find out more about the foster care system in your area.

Of course, there are many things to consider, but it might be one way to show love to a child that could really use your love.

peace

meagan

• anewme
    anewme

Lighthouse, same thing here on the west coast. About fifteen years ago my elder husband and I wished to foster adopt. I was encouraged to go through the whole program, fingerprinting, classes, testimonies from many couples, 4 home visits and interviews and thick applications, turning inside out all our finances, assets and past. After two years of this it came down to the blood issue and birthdays and holidays. The county did not want to come right out and say we were disqualified due to our religion, but it was obvious. Theirs was a complete campaign of discouragement! I hated them when it was all through!

They said our woodstove was a danger to a child so we got rid of it.

They said our backyard wood pile was dangerous. Our rose garden was dangerous.

They even said my keeping chickens and ducks was suspicious and asked me three times on two visits if we slaughtered and ate our ducks and chickens. I informed them I was lonely and loved to take care of pets.
    They said the presence of these animals made it unsafe for a child.

When they wanted me to give up my pets but offered me no child soon I quit the whole process.

I was furious and humiliated in front of my closest friends who were asked to fill out character references about us.

Another witness couple hid their religion and adopted two boys from the county system. Both grew up and became elders themselves.
    Good for them.

Boy did you bring up a bitter subject.

• Scully
    Scully

We knew JWs who adopted over 20 years ago. They had plenty of $$$$$ and got a baby from an orphanage in South America.

While I can see the State's concern as a valid one, they shouldn't have engaged in religious discrimination.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I think the State, whichever it may be, has a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure babies are not placed in environments that could eventually put their welfare at risk, and clearly, such is the case by putting a child in JW family. I would go further and say that the State should prevent any members of fringe religions or cults from adopting children, knowing the profoundly deleterious effects exposure to such an upbringing will have on the welfare of the child.

>At the very least, this list should include any religion that rejects life-saving medical treatments for children, including the JWs, Christian Scientists, Scientologists, and I am sure there are more.

• unique1
    unique1

In the US you can't adopt past a certain age. That is why many people look into overseas adoption. You should look into this. If money is an issue, Guatemala is the least expensive.

• anewme
    anewme

Kid-A although I was denied a child through the state I agree with you 100%.

How glad I am today that I do not have that added pain of heart to have left a child of mine in that organization. And today I would have to face having grandchildren who shun me too. No thankyou!

You are also right Black Swan to encourage Lighthouse to now look into the foster programs in his area.

Now that he is out of the org his home would be a fine place for a teen or two to stay or a while until they get on their feet as an adult.

Those kids in foster who find good homes are so grateful and they show their gratitude by keeping contact through the years.

Today I keep an open mind and heart about tomorrow. I am always open to the possibility of a young one coming into my life.
    But I sure do love my pets. Right now I have a little chihuahua girl who Im sure is my spiritual daughter.
    She completes my needs so well I feel somewhat fullfilled. My husband indulges me and when we go shopping he points out things she would like. I appreciate his playing my game with me.

*sniff sniff* no real babies for anewme in this life.

• lighthouse1956
    lighthouse1956

Thanks Meagan, but the state Foster Plan was the gov. organization we were using, and i9t didn't make any difference if we applying for foster care or adoption.

Sorry Aneme, I didn't mean to bring up bitter topic, but thought maybe others also went through this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit